Adding Case fans: Blow out or suck in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
When adding extra case fans to the rear of my tower, should I make them suck in air or blow air out?

Also, can I hook them up to my power supply without worry of overloading the power supply?
It's a fairly new power supply (about 5 months old) and I would be adding, at most, two 50-60mm "silent" case fans to a system that presently has only 1-2 small case fans.

no overload problems. case fans for front and side blow air into the case. fans in back and top blow air out of case.

You might want to be careful of saying no overload problems. There might already be an overload problem. I know mine is overloaded, but I haven't had the time to get it out, and put in a new one.

True_orb, why don't you list how big your power supply is, and what you've got on the system.

ekÆsine is right about the fans. You want to have "non-turbulent" air flow in the case, and the way described is a good way to do that.

Thanks guys!

If yours is running overloaded already, what sorts of problems are you encountering because of that?

I figured there wouldn't be an overload since I am only running a few small fans in my case, but I will try to get the make/model number asap.

I haven't had any problems yet, but I know that they're going to be coming, when you've got a 200W power supply, 80 GB hard drive, DVD-ROM, DVD Writer, ATI Video Card, and a P4.

I have a 400W max power supply, 40 gb hard drive, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, GeForce 3 128mb card and an AMD Duron.

Think I'm safe? :)

True_Orb said:
I have a 400W max power supply, 40 gb hard drive, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, GeForce 3 128mb card and an AMD Duron.

Think I'm safe? :)

I am running more that that, and i have the 4 fans + on Volcano 11

I have set my case fans up with a switch so i can turn on and off the case fans at will. I don't need the case fans on when i am just doing an all-night-download.
(Bed room and computer room are on in the same)

I have the following fan set up on my full tower case.
1x Fan behind front panel. Sucking.
1x Fan on side panel above CPU. Sucking.
2x Fan on back panel. One just under the PSU. Blowing. The is above the PSU. Again it's blowing too.

The only thing that i hate the front panel as it's a sourse of dust.

Thanks Silesia,

Is it hard to install new fans, or is it just a matter of screwing the fan in and plugging wires into the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom