Socket 939 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSH maybe...depends how good this new sucka is, if I can't get to 2.8 like the venice is right now I'm probably gonna wind up selling it

Hopefully ncix doesn't send me a **** DOA again, especially since this is some special order crap

OK here...CABNE (except week 40) > CABYE only week 40 > CABNE week 40 + CABYE (all but week 40) > CAB2E > CABGE.

Happy?

Yes thank you. I must wait until I sell my current cpu/mobo to get the new setup... I shall post what stepping I get once I get it. If anyone can find a reliable source for non week 40 CABNE's let me know. I am interested in the 148 especially, it's at the right price.

gaara said:
I've split all of the off topic posts dealing with the Opteron and merged them with this topic...please keep all discussions related to 939 Opterons here...thanks

I've just ordered a 165 Opteron from ncix...it's a special order so it won't be here for 2-3 weeks but I will let you know how it turns out when I get it

Thanks for moving it all here.

Do you have a link for the cpu you bought? I am assuming it was expensive as heck.

OK so ive decided to get the Opteron 146. Im planning to OC it but how far approximately do i have to get it to outperform the 3700+ i was gonna get?

P.P. Mguire said:
OK so ive decided to get the Opteron 146. Im planning to OC it but how far approximately do i have to get it to outperform the 3700+ i was gonna get?

I'd say past 2.6ghz, which this seems to be able to do. I would go with the 148 personally, so you have a more even match to the 3700+'s starting point. Plus it's nearly the same price. Although it is a few bucks cheaper on Monarch: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ode=M&Product_Code=120333&Category_Code=amdop

So gaara, will that opteron with the 2mb L2 cache overclock to 3ghz? How much of a difference does the extra mb of L2 cache make?

110watts, that is alot of power consumption!

What the hell, the Opteron 165 costs $175 more on Newegg than it does on ncix! Yes I calculated for ncix's CAD prices, and it came out to like $308 USD. It is $475 USD on Newegg!

Edit, nvm I see it's a dual core that's why :p.

Is it a completely new processor? If so it's an early one then? With AMD's past it should turn out to be an excellent overclocker, at least for the earliest ones.

You just have to push it beyond the 3700+ clock speed which is 2.2GHz

lazerman - the 165 is basically a 265 that is renamed...the Opteron naming scheme goes by how many processors you can simutaneusly run at once 1** would only be one, 2** would be two, and 8** would be up to eight processors...since socket 939 does not support multisocket configurations they simply rename it 165 appropriately

You gotta be looking at the wrong core on newegg as monarch sells the 165 for $290...L2 cache will make a big difference in repetive tasks such as rendering or encoding, but of course it'll boast overall performance...I can't say how far it will overclock as I've always said every core is engineered differently

I have looked more into the Opteron...being that it also K8 architecture a 144 or other 939 Opteron is simply an underclocked San Diego/Toledo core...however the Opteron is usually ran through much more stressful speedbinning prior to shipment for stability purposes therefore the silicon will generally be of a higher quality compared to Athlons...this basically translates into the fact that an average Opteron will yield higher clock speeds than an Athlon in the first place, regardless of stepping or week number

So I can expect my Opteron 148 to overclock better than any San Diego core, no matter what stepping or week it has?

I'd say past 2.6ghz, which this seems to be able to do. I would go with the 148 personally, so you have a more even match to the 3700+'s starting point. Plus it's nearly the same price. Although it is a few bucks cheaper on Monarch:
Yea well, the only reason im looking into this is because i just realized i owe alot of money to somebody and the 146 is right up my ally in price. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom