Help with SATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordcarter

Solid State Member
Hello guys,

I need a little help with a computer I am looking at building. I'm confused about SATA. First of all, I have a motherboard that supports it, as well as both of my hard drives. But my DVD Drive and CD Drive are not SATA. Do they make a power supply that has both SATA and regular ATA (for the DVD and CD Drives)? Also, it must have PCI (SLI) support, and 600W.

Anyone know if anyone makes a power supply like this, and or where I can get it?

Thanks, Lordcarter

Lordcarter, I am new here myself so I am not sure about referring people to other sites but the Computer Forum site has a great post/guide entitle PSU 101 and as they make quite clear the wattage is not the issue so much as your PSU's 12V rail specifications. Raed it and you'll see what I mean. As for the SATA thing, I'm trying to learn this too!

GoodNews,

Thanks for the reply, but could you give me a link to that website (or page)?

Thanks.

Yeah man they make tonnes of PSU's with native SATA support. Even if you can't find one (which you should) you can always buy a molex->sata converter, for like 99 cents lol

Good News, I would stay away from MSI. I have had some bad experiences with those motherboards. However, depending on what kind of system you are building and the kind of budget you have it might be alright. Although, if you are looking to build a high performance machine, please, I beg you stay away from MSI.

Although I think that my original question was misunderstood. I understand what SATA is, but I wanted to know if anyone makes a PSU with both molex and SATA? If you have a molex connector, and you get a SATA Adapter you aren't going to get the increased transfter speeds, because you are still using the regular molex wiring, correct?

Nevermind Guys, I found one that has both. THanks for the comments though.

>>>>THREAD CLOSED>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom