WinXP Format Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maino

Beta member
Hi, I'm currently using windows xp home on a dell inspiron 1150, I'm wanting to completely format my c drive and re-install windows on a clean slate, is this possible from the restore cd that came with my dell computer?

I've restored my computer a couple times using the restore cd, and each time something gets left behind wether it is programs or just extra files.. so I am wanting to format the whole drive myself, then try and use the recovery cd.. i'm just not sure if it will work, when I use the restore method while logged on windows, the method doesn't "format" so to speak everything, it just cleans up the registry and restores the default settings but stuff gets left behind. I'm afraid i'll screw something up..

Thanks.

That sounds good.. but i'm not having a problem with the actual format itself, i'm just whondering if I can use the restore cd to reinstall windows xp on a clean drive?

when I format my drive all i do is put in the original xp cd reboot the computer and start from cd and follow the instructions I always make sure whatever I want is backed up then just reinstall my mayjor programs from disk hope that is some help

Nobody is getting that maino is talking about a restor cd not a boot disc or a xp install cd.

From dell itself :
The instructions in this document may include using the Operating System, Drivers and Utilities, or Tools CDs that were previously shipped with system orders. Dell no longer ships these items with every system order.
To return your system to the original factory configuration, you can do the following:

You can use Dell PC Restore if you need to reinstall your operating system, drivers, and Dell-installed software.

It is found here : http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090152

So you would not actually format it but use the restore cd to put it back to factory state.

Hope that helps.

I have found thet dell has a restore partition on the c drive and if you wiped that no you would not be able to reinstall using the restore cd. It grabs information from that drive during install with the restore cd.

cook said:
I have found thet dell has a restore partition on the c drive and if you wiped that no you would not be able to reinstall using the restore cd. It grabs information from that drive during install with the restore cd.

I have found the opposite. The restore cd is their version of XP with bundled software. I always used a win.98 bootdisk to wipe the partition out and made a new one and then installed there version of XP on thr customers computers. On my Dell computer, I use my own XP cd which dont have all that extra software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom