Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewie

Solid State Member
Startup Issues

I currently have a gigabyte GA-K8U Motherboard with an AMD AThlon 64 clawhammer 3700+ 2.4GHz all set up and ready to roll. I have everything all set up and somehow I'm pretty sure this could be a BIOS issue here although I could very well be mistaken here but anyways the only problem I'm experiencing is my window always freezes once it reaches the Windows XP startup screen and it just sits there for eternity. I can get into Safe Mode and everything else no problem at all. There was one time I got pass the Windows startup and right into Windows without the Safe Mode on but that was only after I set up the OS with my Win XP startup disk for the first time. Anyways everything was fine until I reboot the system for the first time and it all just locks up. Any help or suggestions would be well apreciated, but in the meantime I'll keep at it and check if there was anything minor I may have overlooked, perhaps on the MB.

BIOS simply holds your basic system information and tells your PC what to do upon startup...if you're getting a problem loading Windows, it'll most likely be an issue with Windows itself, not your BIOS, possibly conflicting drivers

Also sounds more like a stability problem...most likely a bad power supply or possibly bad PCBs or capacitators on your motherboard

Troubleshooting ->

hmmmmmm come to think of it I think you hit the bulls eye on that one, once I installed some of the new drivers for the MB thats when it all went whacky from there. So what would the best thing for me to do to resolve the driver conflict as all I can do now is run in safe mode for the time being.

ok this is getting stranger by the second, it worked fine last night everything was great for the most part and was quite pleased with it's performance, however when I just re-booted the system up today I recieved the frozen shot again of WInXp :mad: , it sounds like it just stops loading during the startup at a certain point of the WInxp startup and it just freezes up. One my friends has practically the exact same setup and everything works fine, the problem is probably right under my nose. Sometimes it works great but yet again I'm running into the same thing and I didn't even install any new drivers, it just made a few Windows updates before logging off last night and thats it.......

I'd suggest restarting, and loading in this order:

1) WinXP
2) SP2
3) Drivers included with hardware
4) Windows updates after SP2

Dan

ok will do, so in that order I just load up Win XP, pop in and re-install the SP2, install teh drivers included with my hardware and get all the updates???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom