Can't Install Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2562

Baseband Member
Recently I have been having freezing problems with my computer, so I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall windows XP Home. When I put in the desk it tells me that it is missing a file and that this is a "fatal error". It keeps saying that it is restarting setup, but it just keeps saying that it is missing a file "fatal error", also I was told that you format your hard drive with the windows XP disk is this correct? I don't know if I have a virus on my computer or something. If anyone can help me solve this problem I would apperciate it.

john2562 said:
Recently I have been having freezing problems with my computer, so I tried to format the hard drive and reinstall windows XP Home. When I put in the desk it tells me that it is missing a file and that this is a "fatal error". It keeps saying that it is restarting setup, but it just keeps saying that it is missing a file "fatal error", also I was told that you format your hard drive with the windows XP disk is this correct? I don't know if I have a virus on my computer or something. If anyone can help me solve this problem I would apperciate it.

Try asking one of your friends for their xp disk, it could be that yours in courrput or something :p

Check the back of your CD to make sure there aren't any scratches or areas that are dirty. Then, try deleting your partition then creating a new one (don't choose the fast way) that is NTFS.

Dan

There are many factors to corrupt files during an install. Try one of the following in this order:

- Use a known good XP disk
- Use a known good CD-ROM drive
- Replace the IDE cable with a known good
- Remove any cards on the PCI bus
- Run memtest86 (sig for download) to check for memory errors

Post back results please.

Thanks for your help. I think it could be the XP disk. Unfortunatly I would have to buy another XP disk just to see if that solves the problem.

john2562 said:
Thanks for your help. I think it could be the XP disk. Unfortunatly I would have to buy another XP disk just to see if that solves the problem.

if you own the license key, then just download one...

as long as you own/\ then it should be legal

i'm going to assume you have a poorly copied pirate CD or your hard drive has bad sectors.. Missing file errors are caused by one of the two.

best thing to do if you have a Copy of an xp cd is go and buy a real one, better support in the longrun, and you can upgrade to sp3 when it's released without a hitch

can also be a bad cd drive, or loose cables.. Sometimes memory.. but generally system won't boot/randomly restarts when memory is bad.

have you recieved any BSOD's? sometimes freezing and format/install problems are caused by failing IDE drives. i know on more than one occasion i have tried to run a clean install because of problems with the OS (not real problems apparently :O) and then had a ****load of problems re-installing and formatting. these problems eventually came down to a failing optical drive or hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom