New Rig but I Don't Overclock So...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
I am in the process of researching components for a new rig. I want my new PC to not only to do the standard routines of Ofiice work, but also video editing, and of course serious gaming. I have been looking at Socket 939 SLI boards along with the AMD 3200 Venice Core CPU. I have read many people saying how the Venice core and such and such MB is great for OCing.

The thing is I don't OC because I haven't the slightest idea how to OC and I wouldn't ever attempt to unless someone showed me how. Anyway, my question is since I don't OC am I wasting my money on such high level components?

I am trying to look to the now and the future (though the future becomes old as soon as I purchase and assemble; such is the time reality in the computer universe). Keep in mind I am looking for stability as well. I have an old P3 815E chipset Asus motherboard and it is as rock steady as anything I have ever come across. Your advice and recommendations please. Thanks.

For starters, forget about SLI (in my opinion). It's a money pit. It's thier way of getting you to buy 2 cards instead of one, and at best you'll see a 50% increase in performance when you add the second card.

Socket 939 is a very stable and quick way to plant a system. The 3200+ is a good choice. It'll be very zippy when it is stock.

For your system, get
3200+
1gb of ram or 2 if in budget
MSI K8N Neo4-F s939 mobo

Spend as much as you can on a solid video card for your machine. Try to leave around 200 or greater. My goal would be to aim for a 6800 vanilla or greater.

Ryan

Thanks to both of you for your responses bacause it has helped me temendously in my narrowing down components. There is so much out there it makes my head spin. I looked up the MSI board that Ryan mentioned at NewEgg and I was astounded at the number of positive reviews this MB received.

What RAM would you recommend. I am looking at getting at least 1 Gig.

If you aren't going to be overclocking then value ram is good. I don't know which brand of value ram is the best though. Perhaps someone else knows? I though my Crucial Value Ram worked pretty good, I think you should stay away from Kingston if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom