advise on a server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmc3po

Beta member
Hey, I'm gonna put together a Linux server for my workplace, and I wanted some advice on the configuration. The server will need to hold a lot of files, but it doesn't need to be all that fast. The biggest thing is it has to be stable. Cheap wouldn't hurt either. I need a lot of storage, a decent amount of memory, and a solid (non plasticy) case. Here is the config that I'm thinking about.

CPU AMD Athalon 64 2800 +
Mobo Abit KV8 Pro
System Disk 1X WD 80 GB PATA HD
Storage 2X WD Caviar 320 GB SATA150 HD
Memory 1GB (2X512) Corsair Value Select Ram
Case Antec Solution SLK 3000
Power Fortron Source 350W
Video Card Don't matter, no graphics intensive software to be run

If I get all this stuff from newegg, it'll cost about $750. Alright, let me know what you think.

if u r going to store important files on this server u are going to want to go with raid 5 and get one more wd hd...safest and most reliable raid so far.

Make sure to put those drives in RAID-1 not RAID-0 for reliability.

You'll lose half the space, but mirroring the drives will allow one drive to fail and keep running.

If you have the funds, buy another drive and go RAID-5.

I noticed you selected a PATA drive for the system, I would recommend ditching this drive and adding another SATA drive and go RAID-5 for the entire machine.

Also, a good idea, would be 5.25" hotswap SATA removable drive trays so you can replace a drive easily.

Also, check out the Promise website (http://www.promise.com) for a list of available RAID cards and enclosures.

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm actually building two of these machines, so the whole machine will be mirrored using r-synch or something similar. So, I wasn't planning on running RAID at all.

Thanks for the advice on the removable drive trays.

I was planning on running the most recent fedora distribution, not sure of the exact number.

On the note about the PATA drive, I'd like to run all the drives SATA. Do you guys know any reliable 754 mobos that have more than two SATA 150 connectors?

Nice PC, you seem to know what you are doing. If you want good reliability make sure to get good cooling. I would also recomend a cheap low power consumption card like ATI 9200 (or 9200SE) for the PC.

I needed the same server

orite mate, i needed a similar specification my-self. For financial reasons i was planning to make the system my-self but then my friend told me about Broadberry.

They done me a similar spec server for £700. This is there web site:

Broadberrys Web Site

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125438 i'd reccomend this case (unless you don't want a side window) otherwise it's rather sturdy and efficient
the power buttons are hidden behind the door AND the case has locks which is very nice feature for a server. so you'd have to unlock it to turn it on/off or access the inside.
\
the plastic is also pretty dang thick on the front panne, the rest is Pretty dang tough metal I bought my chenming used.. and appearantly the dolt dropped it :/ I had hell Bending it back due to it's toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom