longhorn digital soup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastedYouth

Baseband Member
ok so i was just wondering what you all thort of longhorn and its new "digital soup" idea.. basically for anyone who doesnt know heres my simple knowledge of it.. all file directories and folders are gone.. and ALL files are stored in one place... and a search engine is used to find files... reason i think is so there is less emphasis on the naming and location as the search is a content based one... so what you lot think? and any other querky or naff ... or possbily good if there are any things about longhorn.. i was just curious...

I know they were drasticly changing the file structure but I don't think they would that much. That would be a huge slow down in my opinion. It would slightly speed up searches but normal file browsing would be very slow. It would make more since for them to change the file sturcture in a more linux like approach....

yep... i heard that they are putting in a File system thats based on SQL and its suppose to be secured... ;) i know it doesn't match with M$ but still thats wht they say...

the advantage maverick is that some ppl that arent logical... ie women...LOL JOKE sry ladies... but people who dont name and store files in a logical place can find them using searches based on content... and as well as this they can now select a piece of text and find things which are relevant to that.. cant see that its a good idea but hey there ya go its microsoft so you WILL comlpy.. but i wont to hear more about the anti piracy thing cus they are sposed to be BIG on that and are saying it could stop it massively...

but come on i want opinions do you think this is a good idea or not? plus does anyone know of any other details of longhorn?

i see wot your saying knight sort of but youll have to enlighten me, whats the linux approach, ive never had the time or massive invlinction to go try it...

but you say its a slow down to browse.. but to be honest im not sure if youd ever find anything in possibly thousands of files...???? what aer they thinking... it may be just me but do they seem to be pointing in the direction of the web.. and trying to merge them as one...? because if you had to connect to internet for things... (im talking everything.. like in the future) they could control a LOT more...

*slowly converts to linux as he watches m$ users work with 'Fool Proof' OS's*

yeah but they are taking all the control away from the user... ppl arent gonna use them before long because eventually theyll have you asking the computer if you can open a prog, and if it cba itll say no... i know this... trust me... potest aginst the new OS or be controlled byu your computer :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom