Here's your first glimpse at the PPU card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
Yeah, it pretty much works to remove load from the GPU/CPU and deals specifically with physics calculations
You'll need it if you want to play games like the ones in the videos in my previous post :D

Yeah I've seen those demos before and they're pretty crazy...I need to set aside even more money for this fuggin computer now

Oh yeah, I think they said it should be $249-299

HOly crap! those demos are freakin' cool. Could you imagine playing a multiplayer game with a plane crashing into something like that and all of those objects go flying through the air? That's going to be choatic. The fluid demo was pretty cool too. Hopefully a flowing water like that will sweep a character off its's feet and carry it to rest...

Yea gaara is right on suggested retail price. Also, they will be making standard PCI cards as well as PCIexpress 1X & 4X cards.

And for all that i've been reading lately... it seems that both ATI & NVIDIA are kinda against this PPU. Why? Because they are saying that with a CPU, GPU & PPU working together it makes SLI or Crossfire completely unnecessary. Even more unnecessary then before. Current hardware can only handle up to 200 objects. The PPU can handle close to 32,000.

The PPU may prove to be "NUBIUS'S" nail in SLI's coffin. BUt, it still remains to be seen.

I posted this in another thread too.. but, ASUS is working on a high-end gamers motherboard with the PPU intergrated into the board. I wonder how much that sucker will cost? Can you say $300 - $400 motherboard?

The PPU won't make any difference for SLI. If a game still has tons of really big textures, complex static worlds, high poly models, normal maps etc... then dual video cards will still help. The PPU is for physics alone, nothing else. And I actually read in an article that it will process up to 50,000 phyisal objects with ease. Also, I thought I read somewhere that ATI liked the idea of a PPU and actually is thinking about putting a PPU chip on their graphics cards.

Well, the way that GPU technology is progressing, theya re making it very difficult to sell (SLI or CROSSFIRE) to me. I've been doing some serious rethinking about going with a dual card solution.

Look at the next generation consoles. They are incorporating, "One GPU, One PPU and multiple Processors." To me this is much more attractive the One CPU & 2 GPU's.

I'm more interested in this "Ageia Triangle" theory.
http://www.ageia.com/products/physx.html

I think the next GEN or gaming PC's will be far better off with, "Dual Core CPUs, (1) GPU & (1) PPU.

003... I also just read another article that supports what you said.
ATI and NVIDIA "could" consider adding a PPU to their cards.

I'm assuming that it would be a card probably the size of those DUAL GPU cards... That could be exceptable to me.

woooooooohooooooooooooo, yes i think this will be definitive, they physics in games is already pretty good, didja see the large scale destruction!!!!! MAN o MAN, ........but it bet its gonna be REAL expensive, but yeah anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom