Fan Too Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple-X

In Runtime
I have a problem with my fan. I'm not sure what brand/model it is but it's about 3.5-4in wide. When the pc is running it's really quiet, but when I use a program called TMPGEnc to encode video, it is almost full speed when encoding. This process takes about 3-4 hours to do, and is pretty annoying when the fan is blowing so loud for such a long period of time. Any suggestions on how to make it quiet? Thanks.

I have:

Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 4 with HT 3.2GHz
1.0GB DDR RAM

That program is very cpu intensive so it puts more power to the cpu causing more heat thus making the fan speed up to keep it cooler. Just be glad that your cpu is keeping cool.

you could use a program called Speedfan to contol the speed of it when its underload but its best to have your fan going faster and keeping your CPU cool....

Get those fan vibration dampeners. Also clean out your fans, soemtimes when dust builds up your comptuer becomes really noisy.

buy a new fan.... coolermaster, antec, aerocool, logysis, all pretty quiet (a fan is a fan, who cares what brand, just make sure the dba's in the teens and 20's).

Hey do u know of any fans in the teens? Also, my fan isn't loud because of dust or vibrations, it's just going at a high speed, making it loud. It's almost the same speed when you just turn on computer and then turns quiet. But when using the program the fan speed is pretty high making it loud. So are there fans that are almost noiseless when you first turn on computer at full speed? Because I hope to do the encoding overnight, but it's too loud for me to fall asleep, so I have to do it during the day.

Thanks for the replies.

generally the lower the dfm the less the fan actually cools.. what socket is your processor? if you don't want your proc to fry and you want silence.. you may be looking at water cooling, or a different case with better airflow.

I'm thinking a new heatsink/fan may be in line. Water cooling isn't quiet. It's a different kind of noise. I mean, I guess if you have a quiet pump it might be quieter... but anyway, there's some aftermaket zallman air coolers that are pretty quiet.

Ryan

Also, the fan that is too loud is the heatsink fan. It's about 3.5-4.0in in diameter. My power supply has 2 fans as well, one intake and one out-take. My PC is a Medion M3 Composer 5200. Not sure if you guys know what it looks like, but what can I do to make it cooler, thus quieter? I mean I can change the heatsink, but will that really make it quieter? I'm thinking of maybe adding one or two fans that will also cool the CPU, maybe another intake and out-take?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom