install xo & red hat 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

pao_pao

Baseband Member
which do i need to install first? xp or linux? anyone can provide me procedure? thank you so much in advance.

In this article we will explain how to dual boot into Windows XP and Linux by using the NT bootloader.

Hardware Setup
One 40 gigabyte hard drive
512 MB Ram
Two CD-ROMs

Boot Manager
I will explain how to use the Windows XP boot manager (which seems to also be the same as 2000 – minus a few changes) to load Windows XP and RedHat Linux (using the LILO boot manager).

General Notes
I have not tried using anything other than the Windows XP boot manager. When I installed Linux I used LILO as the boot manager, but did not install it to the MBR.

I have also used NTFS, which does not seem to be as popular to use when dual booting. I have had no problems what-so-ever with it, however.

RedHat 9 has the newer LILO version, so you shouldnÂ’t need to change anything to get it over the 1024 cylinder limit. I didnÂ’t have to change anything as to how LILO was setup.

Hard Disk Drive Setup
What I did was put Windows XP at the beginning of the drive, and formatted in NTFS. NTFS is much more reliable and I’d recommend using it over FAT32. I made the NTFS partition 30 gigabytes. When I installed Linux, I just used the “Auto partition” option, which made a 100MB boot partition and a 6.8GB main partition and a 1019MB swap partition.

Install Windows XP
When I installed XP, I simply made a 30 gigabyte partition, formatted in NTFS file system, and installed XP.

Installing Linux
When I installed Linux, I used “Auto Partition”. Once I got to the LILO configuration, I went to advanced settings and changed it from MBR to first sector of boot partition (I believe). Then I finished installing Linux as I normally do. I do, however, highly suggest you make a boot disk when setup asks you to do so.

Setting up Dual Boot
The way I got dual boot to work was by running, BootPart (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm). To run BootPart, run the following commands:

BOOTPART.EXE

Some text should be outputted, such as:

0: C: type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size = xxKB
1: C: type=83 (Linux native), size = xxKB
2: C: type=83 (Linux native), size = xxKB

Next, run:

BOOTPART.EXE 1 C:\LINUXBOOT.BIN Linux

Change “1” to wherever you placed the boot partition. Mine was the second partition (the information from running the first command should help with this, the first number you see in the output is the partition you use).

Reboot
Now reboot, and try it. You should see Linux as an option, and, if all goes well, Linux should boot. Once you select Linux, you should notice the LILO boot manager comes up and asks you witch to boot to. On my system I changed "DOS" to "Back", as indication that I can go back to the Windows boot manager. But you can do whatever you wish, or just remove it completely by editing to LILO config file (should be stored at: /etc/lilo.conf).
Related Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom