Comp Won't Boot After Installing Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
Hi have an older comp which I removed the memory out of then put back in. Afterwards, the comp won't start up. It will make a long beep then two short subsequent beeps but nothing will appear on the screen. I'm sure the memory is put in correctly (tried over 20 times). I've also checked for any short curcuited but found none.

I remember that I put one memory in one slot while leaving the other slots empty allows the comp to start up properly. Then I tried the other slots and finally trying the slot that worked again. Unfortunately it failed the second time.

Cryora said:
Hi have an older comp which I removed the memory out of then put back in. Afterwards, the comp won't start up. It will make a long beep then two short subsequent beeps but nothing will appear on the screen. I'm sure the memory is put in correctly (tried over 20 times). I've also checked for any short curcuited but found none.

I remember that I put one memory in one slot while leaving the other slots empty allows the comp to start up properly. Then I tried the other slots and finally trying the slot that worked again. Unfortunately it failed the second time.

Well, Im guessing your computer is using SDRAM, since you said it was old.

One thing about SDRAM is that even tho it looks good and compatible on paper, does not mean it will work. SDRAM is very picky.

I did turn off the power but I did not unplug it. The RAM worked before though.

Were you grounded when you installed the memory? Always smart to press the power button before you uplug the wire anyways. (the PSU power button)

Sorry but what does grounded mean? So installing the memory with the plug in didn't do any permanent damage right? I'll go install them now. Thanks.

Great it worked. Never occurred to me that the power plug had anything to do with successful hardware installation. Thanks all.

Grounded, as in so that electricty will go to the ground, and not to the components inside the computer. Shortest path, etc...

you should never even think about opening a computer case unless your properly grounding youself.

I do it all the time, but its stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom