ATI Video Card Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

thayde1

Baseband Member
Hi,
I'm buying parts to build my own PC soon. I'm probably going to go with buying an ABIT AN8 SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. I've been looking into getting an ATI video card and right now I can only afford one and would eventually get two. My question is: Would an ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card or higher ATI Video Card (perhaps two in time) be compatible with NVIDIA nForce4 SLI? If so, are there any drawbacks to having an ATI Video Card with a NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset and what would they be?

Also, a question about RAM: The DDR standard RAM for that Abit Mobo is DDR 400 (PC 3200). Would DDR 333 (PC 2700) work since they are both 184-pin DDR SDRAM?

Thanks

To my knowledge, to be able to use two ATI video cards, you would have to get a Crossfire motherboard because thats ATI's answer to Nvidias SLI, not an SLI one. Correct me if im wrong, but i think thats right.

yes you can use PC2700 ram in a PC3200 ram mobo. you can use the ATI card with your nvidia chipset but i would get a 6800GT for the same price :D

and your right vybunni you have to use the crossfire chipest mobo to get crossfire compatible whatever junk

I just like the ATI Cards...I've seen reviews on Newegg.com of people having that mobo with an ATI card and it worked fine....guess they arent getting 2 ATI cards. Might have to wait for crossfire to become more available then. My budget is about 300 for a video card

for 300... cant go wrong with a 6800GT

even if your a ATI fanboy, go with 6800GT dude. you wont be displeased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom