Socket 939 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an experienced overclocker... I have my XP-M at 2.5ghz on air :p. It's just the 939 socket is unkown territory for me, so I want to know as much as I can. I know I frustrate you lol!

I don't care if people want my help, its just when people find out about something and then go all crazy that they want it and want to find out as much as they can about it. Its nothing new to some of us. These Opterons have been around for like a month now...

Like I said, head over to OC Forums or XS Forums and you'll find out more than you wanted to know.

EDIT: Some guy got a 146 (2.0GHz) to 3.5GHz on phase change with a VapoLS, lol.

Actually...Opterons with CABNE stepping were hitting upwards of 3GHz with virtually no vcore change whatsoever...anyways, you can't fry a processor anymore, it's just not possible, thermal shutdown protection will kick in long before a core comes anywhere close to being damaged
Hmm thanx for the insight. Just so you know no argument, i just didnt understand why are we all of a sudden recomending Opterons when we where dissing them. If thats the case then should i be recomending these to other ppl that can OC like us?

Back on subject, out of the boards you suggested i would choose the MSI, great things have been said about them and i rate them as high as DFI.

You're getting confused dude, not every single 144 processor is going to overclock exactly the same...depends on speedbinning, fab location, stepping number etc.

Basically, the CANBE stepping cores are the absolute best you can get, they're the ones they have been hitting 3GHz on air with almost no vcore change...you won't find any CANBEs anymore though as they were the first batch

Next in line would probably be the CANYE stepping cores, these have also been hitting 3GHz but with much more vcore neccesary

Basically all I'm saying is if you're thinking that you're 100% guranteed you're going to get a monster overclocker, you're going to be in for a nasty shock as every single core is engineered differently and its entirely luck of the draw

If you want good results though, I suggest you order one NOW as is what I am doing...overclockability trends from AMD has traditionally degraded the longer a core has been availible due to tighter speedbinning and perfection of manufacturing

theres a cabne week 40 you can buy off of ebay for 199 dollars there are only 2 in stock and its going to be off in 6 days :D if i can sell my processor fast enough i might get one AHH!!

So by Christmas time, it wont be a good overclocker? Won't matter anyways, i would be happy with 2.8ghz. And if it doesn't overclock high enough, I can RMA it for another shot. How many times can you RMA?

if you buy from newegg i believe you can RMA as many times as you want, but why woudl you want to pay shipping LOL. and they would get suscipicous (SP?)

Well does someone want to buy me one of those off of ebay and I'll buy it from them at around christmas time? That or someone buys my current CPU and Mobo lol.

Flanker? Care to do so? I'll give you my Athlon XP-M and Abit NF7-S v2 w/ aftermarket HSF if you buy me it off ebay! PLEASE! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom