Cleanup/Reorganising of Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels

In Runtime
I have two physical hard drives: one is 30 GB, the other is 80 GB. Both are currently on separate computers and each have Windows XP on them, and both have fairly little free space left. I'm currently using the 30 GB hard drive.

Basically, I want to have the 80 GB hard drive for all my files, and the 30 GB for Windows. Should I partition the 30 GB drive further?

I have no boot disk, and I want to format (properly) the 30 GB drive before I install Windows back on it. I'm not sure how exactly how to do this. I've never had to install Windows on a completely blank hard drive before.

I think I can run Windows from the 80 GB drive and in that environment format and install Windows on the 30 GB drive. I'm not sure if this is the best method though, although it seems to be easiest.

I'm open to suggestions as to what the best method would be. I basically want a clean fast computer, and I want to be able to properly format the drives (including their boot sectors) just to make sure they're completely clean.

what you need to do is use the 30gb for windows and the 80 for whatever reason. You should get a windows 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and delete the partition and make a new one, reformat it, and then install XP. Now you will have a clean install of XP and when you boot to your new install, format the 80gb using diskmgmt.msc or just right click on the drive, and format it

Hmm, right. First I plan to have both drives on a single computer. That way I can hopefully transfer any files I want from the 30gb drive before I format it.

So then after that, I restart the computer and boot from the boot disk. Should I use FDISK or anything like that? Should I partition the 30gb drive any further?

(I don't think I'll format the 80 gb drive since it's the only thing big enough to hold all my files at the moment)

so are you transfering the hard drives now to a 3rd computer? if so, you might not be able to boot but you can try. reason being there are different drivers on the hdd than what is on the 3rd computer. is this so?

Oh no there's no 3rd computer. I'm transferring the 80gb drive into the same computer with the 30gb drive.

ok. so make the 30gb the master, 80 the slave, format the 80gb right quick, transfer the files you need from the 30gb to the 80gb, then instal xp on the 30gb that way i mentioned and you will be good to go

Right. I'm new to that process though so how exactly would I do that? (sorry for sounding ignorant).

Here's how I think I would do it:
1. Transfer files
2. Restart, boot from boot disk (with CD support)
3. Format 30gb drive (is there any way I can make NTFS drives with FDISK?)
4. Install XP (... not sure about the commands for this)

Would it be easier if I did it in a Windows environment? If I run Windows from the 80gb drive, and from that, format the 30gb drive. Then while still in Windows, install Windows onto the 30gb drive. Problem with that would be no real formatting.

Also, how would I go about specifying the master and slave drives? In the BIOS?

Exactly. go ahead and format it with fat32 then when you get done and insert the XP cd it will see that it is not ntfs, if will ask you if you want to, say yes, ntfs (quick), it will take a few seconds then it will format after converting it. then proceed with the install.

Yes you fdisk command to delete and recreate the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom