Socket 939 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not better for gaming. Not worse either. I expected more from you. Its a AMD processor...they're all the same for gaming...

But yea, it'll overclock to 3GHz easy.

So it would be better because of it's speed, not because it's an Opteron. Did I redeem myself?

Edit: I'm making a dedicated thread for this in the OC section.

AMD Opterons

There seems to be much confusion by myself and maybe others, to why these overclock better, and if they're overclocking potential can increase gaming performance.

Have at it people, explain this.

I also have a question. Will this CPU:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80100-R
oc the same as this CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103595

If not is it because of the quality of the lower processors is less than the higher up processors? If this is the case, then what overclocks will I see out of it?

What mobo's will work with these, is there a certain mobo that is better than another or would it be the same as the AMD 64's?

Will the same heatsinks work?

I believe I may be able to afford an upgrade after all :).

All Socket 939 mobos with work with the Socket 939 Opterons. Heatsink comes with the processor. You could probably get the 1.8GHz to 3 GHz but would probably have more trouble than the 2.2 GHz.

You could make a thread for this...or you could head over to XS Forums and OC Forums.

Okat then, so I wouldn't need to get an aftermarket heatsink to hit 3ghz? I have a feeling this system would be good for a long while (year or two).

I plan on:
eVGA 7800gt
eVGA nF4 SLI Mobo (comes free with card)
AMD Opteron 148 Venus
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU

Undecided between these two:
ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
or
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER

Sound like it will last a while? I wish to be able to play games like F.E.A.R and FarCry with max settings. Maybe unlock the GT to GTX if I can figure out how.

Yea, it would probably last a year or two. But don't expect to get 3GHz from that mobo. Theres a reason they give it out for free.

No, you won't need a aftermarket HSF to hit 3GHz, but it would be nice to have one. You don't need a $60 HSF, a $30-$40 will be MORE THAN ENOUGH.

I was just thinking that HSF would be the best... Maybe I could get higher than 3ghz clocks. That would be amazing! Also will 64bit programs work the same with the Opteron as they would with a regular AMD 64bit cpu?

Also, I want to get the DFI Lapnaparty nF4 SLI mobo... the $189 one, but then I couldn't get a 7800gt. I'd end up with a 6800gt max, but more likely a 6600gt because of the price of the mobo. So I'm thinking I get the 7800gt with free mobo and see how high I can overclock with it, and when my B-Day comes in February I might be able to get the DFI mobo...

OMG. Yes dude. They're all basically the same. They're like Athlon 64s that overclock really high.

You probably won't get past 3.1GHz. People much more experienced than youself and I have tried and have gotten to 3GHz. You might not even make it, overclocking isn't THAT easy. An experienced overclocker will get it to 3GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom