Socket 939 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
What the heck? Did some article with benchmarks come out or something saying that the Opterons were good for gaming? I remember when people said they were bad for gaming.

The new Socket 939 Opterons are like the early Venices. They range from 1.8GHz-?2.6GHz? and have 1MB L2 cache. They will fit on any Socket 939 motherboard that fits Athlon 64s. You can take a Opteron 146 (2.0GHz) and overclock it to 3.0GHz on air. Some people have even been able to get the Opteron 144s (1.8GHz) to 3.0Ghz. And since they have 1MB L2 cache, they're like San Diego cores.

Imagine overclocking a Athlon 64 3000+ to 3.0GHz to equal the performance of a FX-59, thats the Opterons.

003 said:
EDIT:
If you get an Opteron you will also have to get ECC ram with it, which is more expensive and slower than normal RAM.

Nope that's for SKT 940, we are talking about 939.

Really, how much do these things cost? My san diego is a piss poor overclocker. I just got pissed with it and set it to 2.8GHz, even though it does not pass prime. Hell, if it dies it gives me an excuse to get a better CPU.

So like 2 threads ago were saying dont get a server for games and now ere saying get one becasue they are monster OCers? THis place is getting worse than the Holy Bible. For the money get a **** 3200+ Venice and the 7800GT, unlock the pipes w/ Rivatuner and OC it to GTX and youll be set.

So like 2 threads ago were saying dont get a server for games and now ere saying get one becasue they are monster OCers? THis place is getting worse than the Holy Bible.
Because socket 940 was not a practical option...FX processors are considered the cadillac of AMDs gaming processors but I most certainly wouldn't recommend an FX-51 or early FX-53 as they originated on the socket 940 package

SO were telling amatures who dont know how to OC to get Opterons and OC them on air and take a risk at frying their processor becasue we suggested something? I say keep it simple and keep on suggesting the Athlon 64s for the sake of noobs.

Actually...Opterons with CABNE stepping were hitting upwards of 3GHz with virtually no vcore change whatsoever...anyways, you can't fry a processor anymore, it's just not possible, thermal shutdown protection will kick in long before a core comes anywhere close to being damaged

I WISH I'd gotten a Opteron now. 2.7GHz is fine, but 3 GHz w/1MB L2 cache is better.

thebrettman said:
Gee- loads of stuff to think about here! Good to hear a range of opinions though.

Where the motherboard is concerned I have been looking for a few on this site...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_Motherboards_68.html

With cost in mind I thought about an few different boards. About £85 is the price I am willing to pay but as always if I can pay less and get a good board all the better. I have no intention of getting SLI at all.

How about these boards

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
£94

or

Gigabyte K8NF-9 nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI Express Motherboard

£70

My feeling is that I might as well get the giga-byte board as it is cheaper and is a make I have had before

any thoughts?

For the motherboard, go here and get the second one from the bottom. Smack dab in your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom