Computer Turns Itself Off After 3-4hr Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionicBeing

Beta member
This computer is no more than two days old since i built it, the following parts were re-used which i purchased brand new (about 5-6months old):

ATI X800
300GB (2 Maxtor non-RAID)
37GB Western Digital Raptor Drive
Sound Audidy 2 ZS
Asus QuestTrack CD-RW 52x32x52x
NEC 3540A
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3000AXBOX
Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

These parts I purchased anew:
ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX
Thermaltake Pure Power W0073RU ATX 520W

And my case is a ThermalTake Kandalf.

Now, the problem is the computer turns itself off every 3-4hours within use, It does not overheat, Mobo+CPU stay in low 30C's and HDDs stay in high 20C's.

It doesn't turn off at any certain cpu level usuage. I took off hibernation, and this mobo (i think, i replaced the old one, same model, because my old psu

kinda fried it...) doesn't have any feature turned on telling the computer to turn itself off every few hours. And I unfortunately, accidently, threw

the box to the mobo out but i have all the other boxes to the stuff i got 6 months ago so a RMA is kinda outta the question... unless newegg doesn't mind me

wrapping it in something and sending it to them. I don't know if the MOBO is defective... yet( I hope its a setting or something i overlooked) any suggestions?

Not to be rude, but because you say its the psu doesn't mean its the psu, how could i check to make sure it is?

*Edit*
oh I think i might have not made it clear, the old psu (came with my old case a rosewill one) is the one that fried it, I threw them both away and got a new psu, one that is reliable.

*Another Edit*
I swapped out the PSU with an extra one i had, I am RMAing it for a new one since i really like TT and I believe this is a quality product, just happens i might have gotten a defecteve one.

heh I made that geuss since its one of the few things that can cause a problem like that. I've never had any experiences with thermaltakes products, but a bad peice of hardware can get through even the best quality control.

You can test a power supply for faults with a multi meter, or a PSU tester, shows what voltages are good, grounded, bad, etc..

That still is not always a guarantee if its all green, an underated power supply can cause major problems. You need to check the min and max, and make sure your outlet is supplying either enough, or not to much for the PSU, and no, they are not all the same, they need to function in the proper range, or you will have problems.

This again is something that is often overlooked, but i have seen so much of it.

Anyway, GL

Turns out you guys were right lol, it was the PS, it hasnt shut itself down in two days (it hasn't been off) thanks ALOT.

Much appreciated,
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom