7800GT + Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The X2 will help you A LOT when games based on Unreal Engine 3 start to roll out, unreal tournament 2007 is susposed to be out q1 or q2 of 2006, and the Unreal Engine 3 is multithreaded. You will get bitten in the ass later up the road if you don't get an X2. EDIT:
If you get an Opteron you will also have to get ECC ram with it, which is more expensive and slower than normal RAM.

you can always go with a 64 now and upgrade to the x2 later on though...cuz yeah 1 game will support it, but what about the rest of the games out on the market...i say a year before an x2 is really needed...

Meh, at 1600x1200 a Athlon 64 4000+ will bottleneck a 7800GTX (87.6-87.8FPS)...

Anyways...I say go with the Opteron 146 and overclock it. Or a 3700+.

Gee- loads of stuff to think about here! Good to hear a range of opinions though.

Where the motherboard is concerned I have been looking for a few on this site...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_Motherboards_68.html

With cost in mind I thought about an few different boards. About £85 is the price I am willing to pay but as always if I can pay less and get a good board all the better. I have no intention of getting SLI at all.

How about these boards

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
£94

or

Gigabyte K8NF-9 nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI Express Motherboard

£70

My feeling is that I might as well get the giga-byte board as it is cheaper and is a make I have had before

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom