Windows 2000 Advanced Server Install Error...

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbbraveheart

Baseband Member
hello all its my 1st post here... :D

having a problem installing win2k adv server on my home network
im installing it on a removable hard drive.
basically it goes through setup(blue screen) and while on the blue screen at the bottom it says setup is starting windows 2000(after it copies the files) then the screen blinks once or twice and I get a blue screen error message.
usually its something with NTDLL.dll ??? :angry:
I dont know whats going on either lol
and it also says make sure my hardware is compatible yada yada yada.

maybe my cd is corrupt?

I dont know

can anyone help me out?

TIA

Never tried to install an operating system onto an external hard drive.

Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Why would you require that on your home network?

IS IT USB ?

It will not work and here is why
it is built into the HAL not to work. Everytime you plug something into the usb port, usb reinitializes
ok ?
so lets say you were successfull in installing win 2003 and win 2003 is happy chugging along and it decides to do an inpage operation and a fraction of a second latter you plug in your usb camera to see the new picture of your girl friend....usb initalizes and win2003 looses contact with it's whole page file...not good, and if done on purpose could compromise win 2003, especially if you replaced the page file with a hacked one or win just BSODs everytime and ram is corrupted and all in ram is lost ..not good either

its not usb its a bay w/ removeable hd

I had Unix/Linux, Win98/2000Pro on it before but Im having problems w/ Win2k server

Im putting the server on my home network so I can study/practice for my certs ;)

905it said:
Never tried to install an operating system onto an external hard drive.

Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Why would you require that on your home network?
Is there anything wrong with having a server on your home Network I'm using Server 2003 myself and will be upgrading to Longhorn Server the day it reaches a final build.

It should work....IDE ,,,,,right ?

is this a burnt copy ?
is it one of those 6 in 1 warez cd's ?
is it a lagit OEM MS CD ?
Did you clean the bottom of the cd , no finger prints, jelly ? especially burnt copies.

is the removable the primary drive ?

its a burnt copy of the real thing

i set the removable to be the primary when I have to boot to it...otherwise, when not in use the drive is not in the bay

I have found that burnt copies have to be completely clean on the bottom , not even finger prints. What I would do is trick it take the hd out of the caddy and connect up as primary install 2003 then put it back in the caddy, this will also tell you if it is the cd or not. Also once you get win 2003 installed there is this really anoying screen when ever you shut down, asks why you are shutting down...etc. It sends this to a log the admin can review, I turned this off on mine. I ran the MMC console and found where to turn that off and revert back to just a regular windows prompt. I will try to remember where , just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom