Computer rebooting automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Beta member
About a month ago my computer started displaying a screen saying there was a serious error, go thru some sort of a memory dump, reboot and then then a scandisk. I reformatted the hard drive thinking this may solve the problem. The message about the serious error and memory dump has disappeared but the rebooting problem is still there. As long as I'm using the computer in some manner...all is normal. But if I let it set EVERY 15 minutes it will reboot..all by itself. I have reinstalled Windows XP again, set all the BIOS to factory default but it keeps on rebooting.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this problem?

Please allow me to Thank You in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Ron

Yup there was a virus going arround that was craeting the problem. But in that case a message is displayed just before the reboot about the shutdown being caused by NT Authority system. Also it gives a 60 sec countdown before turning off.
Ron, try stripping down ur computer to all the basic hardware only and then see if u still get the problem.

press winkey+Pause/Break. click advanced tab, click settings under startup & recovery. Make sure Automatically reboot is unchecked.

R u using a pirated copy of WinXP? if the problem doesnt have to do with your BIOS, it is WinXP that causes it.
TRy insatlling a different version of Windows, say 200 or 98 and check if the same prob occurs. and if the problem persist. go check again the BIOS... last option will be your power supply.

I had an asus a7s333 mobo combo 1500mhz that did the same thing. The problem was a hot CPU. The heat was not being transferred properly. A dap of artic silver thermal compound is all that I needed to fix it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom