DVD-RW Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
I want to buy a dvd-rw to backup my films and games, but I'm not too sure on which one to buy. I heard NEC were a good brand so I did some searching and found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98443

Anyone had experience with this drive and can give opinions please?

A couple of other things I'd like answering too.

About installation. Do I make it a slave or master? I've always been confused about those. At the moment I have a dvd-rom drive and a cd-rw drive installed.

About blank dvds. Which should I buy. I see there's "DVD-R" and "DVD+R". What is the difference? and which one should I be buying?

Thanks to those who answer :)

I have that same exact drive, or somelike very close to it...... Its great

Anyways the difference between the two is

the - format was developed by Pioneer. Based on CD-RW technology, it uses the same "burn" technology as CD-R's, this format is standerized by the Intl DVD forum. DVD - has better DVD playback compatiblity within home DVD players

the + is also based on CD-R technology. DVD+R/RW is supported by Sony, Philips, HP, Dell, Richo, yamaha, and others, DVD+R/RW is not supported by the international DVD Forum, but the Forum has no power to set industry standards, so it becomes a market driven issue.
DVD+ has faster speeds and higher sustained transfer rates.

It is a great drive, was on sale at newegg last week for $27.

Install it as the master. Probably can get rid of the CDRW or the DVD Rom drives. If that CDRW doesn't read DVDs and the write speeds aren't as fast as the NEC, then that is the one to get rid of.

I use DVD +R, but to tell the truth both are pretty much equal in real world transfers. Some brands are better than others in either type, just have to try them.

Don't forget you will be needing some software to "back up" those movies and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom