Messed-up CD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman5000

In Runtime
Ok, here's the problem. My friend's CD burner is messed-up. They say that it used to work but it doesn't work anymore. The only thing is that the cd drive still reads cds (music), but doesn't burn anymore. Any help would be great. :) By the way, my friend uses XP.

are they using CD-R or CD-R/W media ?

do you have any cd mastering software like NERO or do they burn
cd's using xp. ? How is their pc running in general ? do they have a lot of pop ups , pc running slow ? ...long time to boot ?

Ok, just to answer your questions:
1) They are using CD-R media.
2) They use iTunes as a burning program.
3) Their computer has no pop-ups and is not slow.

Also, here is the error that they get:
"The attempt to burn a disc has failed. An unknown error has occured (4261)."

Thanks for the input. Any more would be even more appreciated. Thanks.

Ive had this problem with 2 dvd burners at about the same time.Also Im seeing a ton of posts like this latley.I know for sure there is some copy protection out there that is screwing up our cd and dvd burners.I know i sound parinoid but im just wondering why so many posts about this lately.I never got mine to work again.Even did a firmware update they were both new drives had to return 1 of them.I even put the other one in a new computer i built and still no burn.

does it write to the disc at all before it stops? If so.. try to just burn data or something simple to it.. If not chances are its fried and in line to go to the landfill

Ok, just answering a few questions.
"does it write to the disc at all before it stops?"
-Yes, they say that it starts to write data/music and then stops.

Also, how would I be able to tell if the burner is fried or not, because it does still read the disc, just doesn't burn any data.
Also they are using Windows XP, and it is not iTunes that is malfunctioning. They even tried other programs such as WMP.

"I know for sure there is some copy protection out there that is screwing up our cd and dvd burners."
Also could explain this just a little more.

Thanks for all the help, and any more help would be appreciated.

Try removing the drivers for the drive, restarting, and installing updated drivers.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom