do i need to upgrade graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkShdw88

In Runtime
i have a screen recorder that works ok at low bitrate settings (on wmv, mp4 or divx) but it takes 80% of my cpu to record and 20% to play but i was wondering if i put a new graphics card in my system whether it would handle some of the processing so i can get a steady framerate at a higher bitrate? u can see what my current system is in my sig below

Considering that you didn't list a graphics card, I am guessing that you are using onboard video?

If so, ANY video card will help you out to some degree. Buy what you can afford.

Another upgrade that should really help you out would be to get a P4 CPU with hyper-threading: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property

512MB should work OK for you, but more would be better if you are working with video.

oh sorry i knew i forgot to add something.. yeah its integrated graphics not very crash hot just a sis 256e sharing ram so it limits performance a bit.. im guessing it wouldnt have much dedicated processing for the video stuff other than simple playback and just shoves it on the cpu.. would a fx5200 do anything (128mb) or do i need something more like a 6600?

A fx 5200 is better than what I'm running. While I don't do a lot of video, I have converted a few AVI files to DIVX. Converting media files is CPU intensive, while playback seems to be more graphic intensive (for video).

Grab what you can, be it a 5200 or a 6600.

Also look into the CPU upgrade, as well as getting a gig of RAM.

thanx trotter i will look for a northwood p4 because i will overclock it and i just get better performance than prescott. I'll most likely get a fx5200 because they're cheap and good (enough) i'll look for some decent ram and 1gb of it :)

edit: looking more closer at benchmarks from northwood to prescott i think i will go prescott because they are slightly better for encoding things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom