Advice wanted about upcoming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakie

Fully Optimized
Alright, I have scammed... I mean, "talked" the wife into letting me upgrade my PC again, so I have decided to build a new one and here is what I have decided on so far:

Processor:
P4 2.8C GHz, 800MHz FSB w/HT Technology
$187.00 @ newegg
(a 3.2GHz is $289.00 is it worth the extra $100 for .4GHz? I could probably oc it to that right?)

Motherboard:
DFI 875P Chipset Socket 478
Model~ LANPARTY PRO875B
SATA150 Support
Dual Channel DDR
$179.00 @ newegg

HDD:
Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM SATA150
Model~ 6Y120M0 (OEM)
$107.00 @ newegg

RAM:
1GB Kingston ValueRam DDR400 (PC3200), Non-ECC
$195.00 @ newegg

Case:
Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V1420DU
Blue
$160.00 @ newegg

--------------- Any advice on the above? --------------------------------

Thanks.

PS. I will only consider moving to AMD with overwhelming reason why.

You might consider looking at some other sites for prices, not just newegg.

I looked on pricegrabber.com, and found a P4 2.8 800 MHz for $178, don't know what the shipping cost would be to you. I also checked on hard drives, and found a Western Digital 120 GB SATA for $96 plus shipping.

If you're thinking of overclocking, you might really want to think AMD. What I've heard is that they're real good with overclocking, though I haven't had any experience with them. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice so far guys... I am actually thinking about nixing the Mobo for a Abit IC7-MAX3 board, while it's alittle more expensive (it's $11 more), it supports the upcoming Prescott processors. I see that your an Abit user MB, ideas?

very nice,,I would look at Asus Board, and go with Corsair, or crucial for Memory, as far, and what are you looking at for video card ?

ByTeDeMoN said:
very nice,,I would look at Asus Board, and go with Corsair, or crucial for Memory, as far, and what are you looking at for video card ?

I don't like Asus, I don't really know why, just never have. We use DFI boards at work on about 2500 systems and have never had a mobo problem, that's the reason I suggested them. But I trust MB (MicroBell) too and if he says that I should check around first, I will look at several reviews before making a decision.

I have an ATI 9800 Pro AIW card... it stays... lol :)

I have read reviews on both at X-Bit and the Abit IC7-MAX3 performed alittle better.

that Kingston ValueRam is not so good. stay away from budget memory. everything else looks incredible. you did a good job of convincing your wife, that purchase should set you back very nicely.

i really like that abit board. the IC7-MAX3 looks like it was designed by aliens. you're making me want to switch over to intel :drool: :drool:

http://www.ocprices.com/?rev_id=190

would scurry for the asus or abit boards, both are nice, i think the abit a7n is supposed to be pretty neat, ehm, but that's for amd, i'm sure they have something in your very unfortunate case of using a pentium.. don't worry, it happens =)
and i must agree with you sine, i was working on doing a clear acrylic case, plastered with blue lights everywhere, but.. i might just wanna save a little extra money and put a pentium in there, god willing, i wouldn't sleep at night knowing how wrong getting a pentium would be ;) but that mobo is just.. tight!

Yep, E, I think I will opt for the Abit board. That thing is sweet.

OK, so that is pretty settled. I want a Gig of Ram (DDR400) what do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom