Slot 1 Pentium 2 to 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hey,
Someone gave me an oldish dual-P2. I'm upgrading it a little. First of all, it's an Intergraph (which I've never heard of), and has two 266Mhz slot 1 CPU's.

Most slot 1 motherboards I've seen on eBay, though they were made for P2 CPU's, can support a slot 1 P3 CPU of up to 1000mhz.

I have NO idea what kind of motherboard it is, but could someone tell me what the odds are of getting a P3 1000mhz CPU to work in it?

depends on motherboard really...what it can handle...i think pretty slim but it is very possible...anything is possible anymore

I know Pentium 3's (the slot ones) can go into Slot one, but if you have motherboard documentation you will be able to find out the speed limit, if not google the Information you find on the motherboard, such as brand and model.

<<Most slot 1 motherboards I've seen on eBay, though they were made for P2 CPU's, can support a slot 1 P3 CPU of up to 1000mhz.>>>

I don't know who made this up, but this is not true at all! It has to do with the FSB and other elements of the motherboard what processor(s) they can take. I have seen a board that can use PII up to 800 Mhz. but that's it, and not all that common.

yeah compatability between slot1 PII boards and slot1 PIII's is actually pretty low. for starters you would have to get the voltage right. i think all PII's are 2.2v some PII's are 2.2v but not all i think so you would have to make sure that the board can provide the voltage. slotkets on the other hand seem to have a pretty high success rate.

what does the FSB go up to?
if it supports up to 1GHZ, I would say it has a 100MHZ FSB, but if it supports a 133MHZ FSB, then all the better.

one thing you can get is a slot 1 to socket 370 converter, so you can put in the later socket-based Pentium 3's into your slot 1 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom