Barcode scanners and decoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitschej

Baseband Member
I just bought a used barcode scanner and decoder and neither of them are hooking up or getting detected by my pc. I was wondering if the decoder needed a special adapter to hookup to a different port on the computer? I have a unitech pw110 pc-wand decoder and it has a serial port, Nic port and a printer port on the decoder. It does not have a port for power so it draws it from the computer. I also do not have any instructions on the decoder. I also have a PSC 5310HP4342 barcode scanner. The instructions that come with it are a joke. They don't give any description on how it hooks up to either the decoder or the computer. I also did not receive any software or drivers for the barcode scanner. I would appreciate it if anybody could point me in the right direction for these things. I have contacted both companies by email but they are slow at getting back to me.

It's been a while since i played with scanners and POS equipment, but....

it has a serial port, Nic port and a printer port on the decoder.

They are all serial ports.
Bar code scanners are the following :-
* Serial
* USB
* PS2
* AT (REALLY OLD)

The RJ45 is there so you can connect the barcode scanner to other devices such at POLE DISPLAYS.

I have never seen a printer port part code scanner.

t does not have a port for power so it draws it from the computer.

Power Adaptors for BarCode Scanners are normally sold serperately. How ever, if you are not doing and thing fancy to them, then all power will come from the PC ports.

I also do not have any instructions on the decoder

OUCH!!! :eek:
If this is a programable barcode scanner (most of them are), then you will need the manual.
The manuals are normally a very thick book that will have all the instructions on how to program your barcode scanner. So apps require you to look at barcodes in a special way. The manuals will have the instructions and the barcodes to that are required to program or set to factory defaults on the barcode scanner. And these special bar codes are model specific.

My experience has been with DOS Based Point Of Sales Systems, and with that in needed to program in STOP BITS and PARIDY BITS and BAUD RATES and a lot of other stuff.
Another example (for those who work in wharehouses) is trying to scan S/N numbers barcodes from Acer/Mitsubishi/BenQ. I know the factory defaults will not reconise thier barcodes on the side of thier boxes.

And since the manuals are about 90 pages, and printed on hight quality paper, it some thing that you will need to buy from the manufacturer.

Get the manual! It's a little bit more that just a "R.T.M.F." job.

As for programming the barcode scanner, if it your first time, do not rush it. I do remember having a quite a few stuff ups when I was programming my first set of scanners. And I needed to re-start from the beginning. And even if this is not your first time, still do not rush it.

They don't give any description on how it hooks up to either the decoder or the computer.

Sound like you will need to hook it up to the serial port.

I also did not receive any software or drivers for the barcode scanner.

You rarely do. Barcode Scanners are there to emulate a keyboard. And with that, they really don't require drivers.
It more of a case that the software that you are using will automatically dectect the scanner, and it will work from there.

You may need to adjust setting in the software, or program the scanner. Check with your software vendor.

Windows should be able to detect the scanner with out any drivers. How ever, this will mean that the scanner is programmed to the FACTORY DEFAULTS.

I have contacted both companies by email but they are slow at getting back to me.

Typical.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

How about the person you got this scanner from. He might have the manual. He might know if he had the program it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom