laptop power supply issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the reply

the connector is not broken, i just fear that i may hvae damaged the power supply unit with the 19.6 v unless there is some sort of "over voltage protector" which kicks in and prevents the volts from going in.

you mean to say that the power supply unit which may have blown on the laptop is replacable individually, i can get one of the power supplies from some place and then replace it on my laptop?

does the warranty cover sticking in the wrong power supply cable?

no I meant the wall transformer that you do not have, you know you plug it in the wall and the other end in the notebook and there is a box like part in the middle. This notebbok is new ? what happened to the wall transformer unit that came with it ?

if the internal power supply is damaged inside, a new or core exchange of the mainboard is the only way out. If it is still warranty just tell them ( Sony) it stopped working, they do not need to know the details, I still would try to find a 16v dc external wall transfornmer power supply first, in the mean time I would contact Sony to get the ball rolling on a warranty repair, you can always cancel latter if you find it was just the external power unit. If tou do call sony do not tell them about trying the other power supply and you may want to get another power supply before you call, they are going to say "how do you know it does not work if you do not have an external power supply ?"

thanks for the reply and the advice :)

the laptop is new, i have left the adaptor at home, and at my friends place for a couple of days, soon as i get home, i will check out if it still works on its own adaptor.

if the power unit has gone does that mean the whole laptop has gone, is there any way to charge the laptop battery in the meantime. what do you think are the chances that the laptop psu has gone?

i guess if i that is the case then i need to send the laptop without any "software" i have installed, correct?

OK check that out when you get home

Yes if the power supply inside the notebook is bad, the mainboard will have to be replaced, or a factory repair of the board.
my gut feeling is that the slightly higher voltage did not hurt it
having said that...if the polarity is the same. i think you have dodged the bullet. i do not know of a way to charge up your notebook w/o the power unit

if you have to send in the notebook, you will want to back up ( copy ) all data that you want to save, like burning to a cd or dvd.
even if Sony promises not to destroy your data, it still could happen. You may need an RMA to return the notebook for repair.
Get the names of everyone you speak to durring this proces and do not be satisfied with just " BOB" get the last name or employee ID, write this down with a brief note about what you said and they said and day and time....a month latter this will be helpfull...also send by UPS or another that has tracking, insure for full value, pack it well , get an AOD acknowledgement of delivery from the carrier...and ask Sony what they need back with it and write down your notebook serial number, they may try to give you a reconditioned, which when they ok yours to send in you want to make sure you get yours back and not an exchange unless that is their policy. hopefully you will not need to do this,

thanks for the reply tracktorboy

the laptop checkd out fine, next time i will be careful,
thanks also for the tip on being careful with the connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom