F.E.A.R. problems/Heat problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I upgraded to FEAR 1.02, and now I can play for about 5 minutes, then the game will get screwy graphics and the computer will shut down. Does anybody else have this problem? Also my graphics card generally runs about 100*C under load when playing this game. Could that have something to do with it? Part of that is its extremely hot outside (90*F +) and my room gets even hotter. My parents refuse to use the air conditioner though...so what should I do about this?

beedubaya said:
I upgraded to FEAR 1.02, and now I can play for about 5 minutes, then the game will get screwy graphics and the computer will shut down. Does anybody else have this problem? Also my graphics card generally runs about 100*C under load when playing this game. Could that have something to do with it? Part of that is its extremely hot outside (90*F +) and my room gets even hotter. My parents refuse to use the air conditioner though...so what should I do about this?

Your parents refuse to use the AC? That sucks big time. I can't imagine doing that to my kids. Of course, I'm a big baby when it comes to being hot. I can't stand it. lol I'm sure you've thought of this already, but what about putting a few fans right next to the comp to blow in some air? Take a glass full of ice cubes and set in front of the fan. It will blow cool air that direction.

NV Silencer....100C for your graphics card is just unacceptable....I'd definitely be looking into aftermarket cooling with that

well, It now does this in all games, not just FEAR. I took off the heatsink to find virtually no thermal paste...

I put on some AS5, hopefully that will help it for the time being...

I just hope this isn't the end for my 6800GT...i dontt know what I would do if it was....

That's what RMAs are for.

For the meantime just jerry rig a fan under the card blowing on it.

Well, after applyig AS5, I am able to play a game of FEAR without it crashing...and my load temps are now around 92-96 instead of 100+. However, I ordered an NV Silencer 5.....question....how do I remove the AS5 that I just installed once the NV5 comes in?

The FEAR demo caused my graphics card to overheat :(

Anyway, whats wrong with the cotton wool buds and some isopropyll? (I never took off my heatsink, so I don't know what surprises are underneath, as mine runs at a nice 40*at idle, and I haven't a clue what load is.)

isopropyl ;)

but yeah rubbing alcohol is fine too.............I GUESS

q-tips and 99% iso works perfect

HoLy CrAp...

100 Celcius? No... ? That's like 212 F! A few more degrees and you'll be scrambling for a fire extinguiser...

Where the heck do you live? The Arizona Desert?

As far as thermal paste removal goes, Arctic Silver makes a fantastic product that works really, really quick and really, really good. Now, before everyone freaks out... Yes, 99% isopropyl alcohol works just fine. But it takes a while to break down the thermal paste. Don't tell me no it doesn't because i've ordered medical grade 99% IA and it does take a long time...

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

This product works extremely quick. As soon as you add a few drops and wipe it with a cloth or piece of paper, it will break down and wipe away clean. Then you use the other solvent to get rid of all the residue. You can have a crusty, cruddy CPU ready to reapply in less then a minute.

The special ingredient in the cleaner is Citric acid. It's fantasic for breakin' down the thermal paste. And it makes your CPU smell like oranges... lol - CPU's like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom