Strange motherboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker

Baseband Member
As you may or may not know, I recently replaced my fried Asus A7V8X-X with an MSI K8n Delta2-LSR. I've got a LAN party to go to tomorrow and I've got problems that I apparently just can't seem to get worked out. Here's the system as it stands:

Antec P180 (no system speaker)
Antec NeoHE 500w Power Supply
Athlon XP 2800+ w/stock hsf
512 megs of generic RAM
Gigabyte Radeon 9600 XT
Sound Blaster Audigy LS
Western Digital Caviar 80gb IDE HD

I've got two problems; one, I can't get the integrated ethernet to work at all and two, for some reason the motherboard detects my processor to be running at 1.25 GHz.

First, the integrated ethernet problem. I've installed all the latest drives, the latest BIOS, et cetera installed on my computer and the first time I booted it up after doing the installs it worked just fine. I could get on the internet. But after I rebooted it, I began getting a number of extremely strange scenarios cropping up. Now, one of three scenarios (apparently) occur at random when I boot up:

1) I can log on and use the internet just fine. This hasn't happened in a while.
2) I can log on to the computer, but I can't access the internet. This is the most common.
3) Sometimes it'll just hang before I get to the log-in screen. I can see the mouse and move it around just fine, but the rest of the screen is totally black.

I took a look at the back of my P180 and noticed that any time the internet cable's plugged into the integrated ethernet, the little green indicator light starts flashing like crazy as if it was downloading some massive file and never stops blinking until I take out the cable. I really don't know what could be causing this.

Second, the computer for whatever reason detects my Athlon XP 2800+ to be operating at 1.25 GHz. Maybe all of you Socket 939 and 754 guys out there don't remember much about Athlon XP's, but in case you forgot I'll give you a reminder - an Athlon XP 2800+ operates at about 2 GHz stock. Why it suddenly and inexplicably has chosen to randomly underclock my processor I'm not exactly sure.

The processor thing doesn't really seem to be a big issue since the computer seems to run as fast as it did with the old motherboard - but I really need to see if I can't resolve the Ethernet problem. If I can, then great. If I can't, well...then I'm not going to bother keeping the motherboard and I'll probably return it. Any thoughts?

Set the FSB manually in the bios to solve the frequency issue. 2nd, buy a NIC card for $5 on newegg and disable the onboard. thats what I would do.

2nd problem: Try pinging 127.0.0.1 when you dont have internet. This is the local TCP/IP stack, if you cannot ping this or have latency's above 2 you have a big problem.

I could also see the network card basicly running a DOS attack against itself basicly, since the light is always flashing this means it may be sending a single packet to itself over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom