command line

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
how do you change the messenger startup setting from disabled to automatic through the command line.

can't. you have to change it to manual in the control panel before you can change it on the cmd line.

services.msc
change setting. Then use cmd for the rest...

so if i want to start the messenger service on about 100 machines the only way to do this is to walk around to each computer and start it manually. That is the most retarded thing microsoft could have done.

if you have AD you can do it though GPO.

right click the OU, goto properties, click group policy tab, click new, give it a name, click edit, set the services settings as you would on a local pc, close gpedit. run gpupdate from the command line

you can also write a script in VBS or perl to do it too. You asked how on the command line. if you have domain, then you should have said so.

sorry yes on a domain. Alright well i finally got it. I did what csamuels suggested (thanks for that) I then also had to edit the logon script. The two lines i had to add were:
"gpupdate /force" --- It did not work everytime until i added the /force switch to it.
"net start messenger" ---This actaully starts the service

thanks everyone for your help.

Group policy will automatically refresh on reboot as well. Unless your refresh interval is missconfigured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom