Have I broken my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorherp

Beta member
Hiya and thanks for taking the time to read. First a little background. I have an Asus SLI motherboard for and Athlon 64 and recently replaced the chipset heatsink (not the cpu one, the other one on the chip embeded between the two graphics cards on the motherboard). Upon re-assembly here's what happens:

The computer boots as normal with all the usual blurb appearing on the screen followed by the windows xp loading logo. However as soon as the computer attempts to switch to the proper resolution the signal to the monitor cuts out. I can hear all the little windows jingle and sounds so all is working fine except for this. To double check I booted the computer in VGA mode. In this mode the monitor keeps displaying and I can confirm that everything is working. Whilst in this mode I checked the device manager which reports the video cards to be oprational. I also tried swapping the video cards over just to make sure I hadn't broken one of them and the problem still persists.

By process of elimination Im guessing I've broken the motherbaord and I'm going to have to buy a new one, but before I cough up the cash I thought I'd get a second opinion. I'm not very computer savvy so any help you could give is greatly appreciated. Many thanks

It may be your monitor can't handle the freq. you are trying to display at, try lowering the freq and resolution maube 800x600 and between 60-70 hertz

I doubt this is the problem since from the last working state to the current broken state the only change has been the replacement of a (non-essensial) heatsink. No software or device settings have been changed what so ever. That is of course unless unplugging all the cards and motherboard has somehow reset a setting on something or other or there's some kind of post re-assembly setup I have to perform which Im not aware of. I will however try this anyway (thats if I can convince the **** thing to boot up in vga mode again anyway .... cant get it to go into the boot menu where this is an option anymore for some reason).

Had another good play around with it last night but Im making no progress and starting to get very fustrated with it :mad: . Come Saturday, unless I find another solution, Im just going to splurge on a new motherboard I think and hope for the best. I have a gut feeling though that it will be wasted money and wont fix anything since the problem lies else where.

Have you tried going to ASUS or whomever makes your mainboard and DL new drivers and installing for the vid?
or

just going into device manager and deleting your vid card , then make sure the name of your pc is highlighted at the top of the list of devices, then click action, then rescan ...or just reboot the pc after deleting

When yur replug anything on your motherboard. sometimes windows redetects certain piece of hardware, and reinstalls it.
So it is a possobility of frequency change mentioned by jcambece.

To fix it, try to boot in the safe mode, by pressing F8 at the stages before windows logo it will bring you advanced boot options, select safe mode, it should reduce the frequency, than manually set everything correctly, and reboot normally.

Tell if it worked.

Thanks for the input everyone ... Im at work at the mo so I'll have to wait till I get home before I can try any of these things .... If I get things working again though I'll post up and let you know ^_^ (else I wont be back till monday when I get back to my PC at work :p )

tractorboy said:
....going into device manager and deleting your vid card , then make sure the name of your pc is highlighted at the top of the list of devices, then click action, then rescan ...or just reboot the pc after deleting

That did the trick just dandy .... thanks very much for your help everyone, you are truely kings amongst men :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom