Help on Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacey9

Baseband Member
Hi all
I have just installed a new slave hard drive i set the CMOS to autodect, no problem, machine boots up and it says its there in the device manager and working fine except it hasnt shown up under My Computer. It still only shows my main Drive C, any ideas on why this is happening or have i forgoten to do something?

What Operating System are you running?
What Is the make and model number of the HDD?

Check that the jumpers are set on both the master and the new slave that you put in the computer.

Check to make sure the master is on the end of the cable, and the slave is in the middle of the cable.

Check to make sure the ide cable for your HDD's is in the Primary IDE connector.

If none of those work, it probably wasnt low level formatted at the manufacturer. If thats the case, send it back for a new one, low level formats arent fun, or advised. I highly doubt thats the case, it happens very rarely, but it does happen.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the replies guys i had not partioned it as all this is new to me so it is presently formating as i type

so... have you tried to partition it?

If it's new, then you will first have to partition it then it should show up in my computer, after that you can format it...

if you need any help partitioning, pm me

even still...is the slave a ide or sata drive? partitioned or not, it should still show up. something in BIOS isn't correct to allow both channels to be seen

vagnozzi said:
even still...is the slave a ide or sata drive? partitioned or not, it should still show up. something in BIOS isn't correct to allow both channels to be seen

maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't a drive be visible in the bios/post/device manager, but not in the "my computer" folder, as a drive letter unless it's been partitioned?

i just needed to partition it and formatt etc so i have sorted it now and working great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom