network cable unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
but what are the odds it would damage just the NIC itself, and not cause the whole thing to go out

True, but I guess it would be similar to a modem, like when lighting strikes a phone line sometimes only the modem gets damaged other time the whole pc is junk.

If it's Windows XP, try restoring to a previous restore point before the NIC stopped working.

I actually have this problem myself, and have not figured it out yet.
what I did is get a new wireless card to connect to my router. it works, but I still haven't got it to connect using any wired NIC.
here's what I tried to do:
- downloading and run this Winsock fix
- reinstalling Windows (even a format)
- using a new NIC
- uninstalling and reinstalling it
- using different drivers
- manually assigning an IP

you're welcome to try any of those, although since they didn't work on my machine I don't think they'll work on yours

Go into you device manager.. Start | Run | Control Panel | System | Device manager and make sure windows still sees it.
You'll see it listed with a green network symbol next to it. If you see the yellow dot with an exclamation point, reinstall.... If the reinstall doesn't take, it's probably fried....

or...

I'm assuming you're set for DHCP? Windows will eventually assign it an IP starting with 169.x.x.x. Drop out to a command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all'. If it doesn't, you're NIC could be dead. Uninstall, then reinstall. With XP, you may be able to uninstall then reboot.... XP's pretty good at picking things up.

If you DO see the 169.x.x.x address, ping 127.0.0.1. That's the loopback address for you network card. That will verify your TCP/IP stack was built correctly. You should get a reply from it.

If you don't, I'd say it's toast...

on mine, the device manager says all's okay. I'm guessing the cause for the problem is the same on his machine aswell...

and on mine, DHCP client is enabled in services.msc, it didn't get an IP unless I manually assigned one, but it still wouldn't actually communicate with anything even then.

also I did try a new NIC, so I don't think the problem (on both his and my machine) is a dead NIC

@ bigbmxdave, sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to take over your thread, but I think the problem is the same on both our systems.

if I do find a solution, I'll let you know what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom