Could my mobo be bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackThePlanet

Baseband Member
Thnx everybody for your help so far... So i have had a problem with my Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 mobo giving me a beep code of 2 short and very close together beeps, followed by six short and spread out beeps. I have not been able to find the beep code translation anywhere, so i decided to test all of my parts by swapping them out with my other system. I pulled the ram, power supply, video card, and hard drive. They all work in different systems. I didnt pull the processer however, cuz i assumed that since it still heats up in the system that doesnt work, it is still working (is this correct thinking?) So, i was wondering could it maybe be my mobo even though it is brand new? Ugh.

BTW, my system is as follows:
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Extreme 800Mhz FSB
2Ghz OCZ Gold Edition DDR400 - (2) dual channel kits (4x512)
Cooler Master 450 watt PSU
160 Gb Seagate 7200 HDD
Nvidia GeForce5500 256mb 8x

The problem with testing my processor is that my other system doesnt support the 3Ghz prescott, however the non working system does support my other system's processor. I am just scared that if it is a mobo issue, then it will burn out my other processor.

Pull the RAM out of the board and turn it on. If it gives the same beep code, then it could be your board.

Well, thanks to everyone who has helped me out, but after much deliberation, and some talk with soyo ( which i give 0 out of 5 stars to on customer support ) I figured out that OCZ Gold Edition memory is apparently not compatible with the I865 series Dragon 2, even though it says that OCZ is compatible. I guess they forgot to mention that the gold edition isnt for some stupid ass reason. Anyways, thanks to all!

SOYO is a "generic" motherboard....thats what happens with those kind of companies...their parts are sometimes really flimsy...try to stick with the major makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom