SLI a waste of $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

I fore-see it as having it's own mainboard. These mainboards would come in several flavors.

Single GPU with special sockets or Dual GPU. The GPU's could technically be drop in. After market coolers available. There would also be a socket for a PPU, which could also be drop in. There would be say 2 or more RAMBUS XDR slots onboard so that you may upgrade as you please. Flash-Rom chips onboard for drivers.

http://www.rambus.com/products/xdr/applications/graphics.aspx
http://www.ageia.com/products/physx.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27336

Cases could be fully moddible or buy them as funky as you wish. Power Supplies would be after market or come with the cases.

Simply connect the unit to the PCIexpress 16X slot (via) a special rear panel adapter... plug in your monitor, and you're gaming like never before....

There are several things you'd need:
1.) A Mainboard manufacturer - like (DFI) - Lot's of R&D
2.) ATI or NVIDIA to make drop-in GPU's.
3.) Ageia to make Drop-in PPU's
4.) Flash-Rom or other component to store drivers / bios
5.) Special PSU's - PCP&C - OCZ - ANTEC ?
6.) Small Formfactor Cases with excellent cooling - Thermaltake?
7.) After market coolers - air, water, etc...
8.) Compatible RAMBUS modules. 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB

Think about the next generation Consoles right.... They are going to be extremely powerful and cost under $500.00. All of these things i'm talking about are more or less inside of a next generation console. Why not kick those consoles up a notch... well, they won't be consoles... they'll be "External Graphical Systems" or "XGS".

Everyone can dream can't they? lol

Single GPU with special sockets or Dual GPU. The GPU's could technically be drop in. After market coolers available. There would also be a socket for a PPU, which could also be drop in. There would be say 2 or more RAMBUS XDR slots onboard so that you may upgrade as you please. Flash-Rom chips onboard for drivers.
Can't be done without compensating huge amounts of performance...GPU architecture is much more powerful and much more complex than a CPU, you can't simply pop in a faster GPU without significantly slowing down GPU advancement

I believe a GPU is about 30-60 times faster than CPUs of the same era in low precision computations...to put this into perspective a GPU does about 1.2 trillion operations per second...current CPUs are still around 3-4 million op/sec

Havoc did make a comment earlyer about alot of things needing to be worked out, he didnt say itd all come together really easily haha.

Of course not, I know he's just having fun and making up his own theories, I agree with him it would be nice if certain parts of your graphics card could be upgraded

beedubaya said:
I am actually considering a switch to console games because I don't want to have to spend $5000 on a PC just to play games for 2 years, then have to spend $5000 more to continue playing.
I'd way rather play UT2K7 on a PC with all settings on low then play it on xbox with amazing graphics (assuming you have an HD-TV) and lame controlls.

Yeah, i understand what you're talking about gaara.

But with the proper funding and some technology sector backing... If there's a prospect to make money, someone will take a chance on it.

They could still use GFX cards for all I care. Just get the graphical components out of the inside of the PC. I really don't believe they have to be in there.

Increase airflow... much better cooling potential outside the PC.
Give people the option of upgrading their level of graphical performance without even doing much to their PC.

It would certainly be a lot of work getting a project like this off the ground. But like Thomas Edison once said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."

Just a thought here. ATI and nVidia have some pretty smart people working for them. If something could be done to make more money than they already are they would have done it by now. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to make as much money as they can. AGP... PCIe blah... :)

BColes said:
Just a thought here. ATI and nVidia have some pretty smart people working for them. If something could be done to make more money than they already are they would have done it by now. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to make as much money as they can. AGP... PCIe blah... :)

So one would think right?

It would basically be a stand alone unit "external unit" . Have it's own power supply, it's own case, it's own cooling, dual GPU's, a PPU, upgradible system RAM... etc... This unit would connect to a PCIexpress slot by a special cable that would come out the rear of the PC in a PCI slot cover then attach to the stand alone unit. Your monitor or monitors would then connect to the stand alone unit.
What the hell, I've said that EXACT crap ever since I saw the dual GPU 6800Ultra because of their size.

I said "One day you're going to simply have a box solely for the graphics connected to your main computer via high data transfer cables" and the idea of addable RAM and swappable GPUs I said months ago as well.

...basically what I'm trying to say is you obviously hacked my brain and stole ideas I've been saying for a while myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom