Outlook Express Identities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxs304

Baseband Member
I have recently set up a second "indentity" in Outlook Express with password protection activated. Now when I try to access the original identity it keeps telling me that the password is incorrect. I have been using this original identity password for over six months now and I know the password that I'm entering is correct. I can't delete the original identity because to do so requires the password. (By the way, the caplocks are off). The second identity which I just set up works fine with the password I've chosen. My question is does anybody know how to delete an identity without the password, or is there some way of finding out what the password is ?? I'm running Windows XP Professional. Thanks for your response.

Thanks for your reply carmargue. Yes, I do have Service Pack 1 installed. As a matter of fact, I have installed all XP updates. I read the article you mention above. If you find out anything else, could you let me know. Thanks.

Not quite about the identities problem, but there is a way that you can get your whole inbox. Open OE. Go to the Tools or Options menu (sorry...not at my computer, don't have OE here to play with and verify the exact accuracy of my phrasing.) Then go to Options, Preferences, Settings, or whatever it is (not account settings though). Now go to the tab that I believe is message rules and choose the option to show the location of the store folder. If it isn't message rules, look through the tabs...it will be somewhere. Go to that location and go back through the folder levels (as in "Up one level") until you get to the folders with all the identities (the names will be in a strange looking code). Go to the one you were not just in (if there are only two, then you know for sure which one you are looking for). Now look through until you get to files that look like "inbox.dbx" or "sent items.dbx". You can now make a third identity and replace these ones with the new empty ones. You could even possibly try deleting the old identity's folder and seeing if that removes it. Maybe I'll edit this with more clarity later when I can actually play with OE a bit to make sure I was accurate here.

Thanks for the reply qiranworms, but your response"did not compute". Perhaps when you're at your computer.

I was not able to follow the the "path" in the registry provided at the above web page. I have no "Protected Storage System Provider" referrence in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I was able to find it in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but there was no such numbered file referenced. Could this be because I'm using OE Version 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom