ok so I don't understand this bios.. need help with clock speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyotaka

In Runtime
Ok this bios seems weird I'm a bit worried to play with the settings, It says it supports overclocking so.. I'm kinda weary as to what the settings it displays are..

Currrently I am using Pc2700 , and an AMD sempron 64 2800+ (800fsb)

my fsb is currently set to 200mhz, my memory clock is 200 as well.. The max fsb (as it calles it the max bus Overclock is 400)
which makes me kinda worry, as for memory clock choices are
166/200/215/233/250
However Isn't 2700 supposed to be 333?
and why Is the max setting (in increments of 1) 400.. this makes me wonder what these settings really mean.. Anyhow currently it's being slower than the old 1600+ i had in it :/...

need a bit of help with this, Chaintech VNf3-250 motherboard BTW

this bios is just confusing vs the standard biosess. So i am worried If i set something to what i think it should be I'll fry.. So seeking skilled advice first.

Because you're using DDR RAM, Double Data Rate man, it does clock cycles on both the rise and fall therefore DDR400 really only operates at 200MHz but completes the cycle twice during one refresh of the memory

PC2700 = DDR333 = 333MHz / 2 = 166MHz

Assuming you are using generic RAM and don't want to overclock it, in this case you want to set the RAM divider to something lower than 166. Your FSB and memory are linked via a ratio and rasing one will result in increasing the other. Using a divider allows your memory to underclock so that when you start raising your FSB speed your memory isn't exceeding stock speeds

For further reading, see the stickies, but I would set it at 133 if there is such an option in the BIOS

what would you reccomend setting my CPU speed too? (seperate option) right now it's 200mhz (lowest option) max option is 400
should and what would you reccomend when i get the pc3200

supposedly this is a 800mhz fsb cpu

and right now I've seen celerons faster than how this thing is acting :/

ok nvm i think i figured it out.. thanks.. any idea what'd cause this board to act slow though? it freezes when i try to type in addresses, browse folders etc.

Assuming by "cpu option" you mean your FSB speed, it should be set default 200 with your memory running 166 memory divider...obviously your biggest problem right now is your memory bandwidth bottleneck and replacing your PC2700 with PC3200 is ideal

To clarify...your FSB speed isn't 800MHz, that is your HTT speed which is your FSB speed multiplied by the LDT ratio, which in this case would be 4x for socket 754

Yes for sure. You'll hit a brick wall as soon as you start overclocking your CPU with pc2700 RAM.
As mentioned above you need some pc3200.

Seriously though, you need to do a little research before you start messing in the BIOS of an A64 system. There's a bit more to it when it comes to overclocking than Skt A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom