overheating... I think....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggs Casey

Beta member
A friend of mine has a P4 2.5 that runs anywhere between 45 and 72. I know in the AMD athlon world, that's pretty freakin' hot... My old mobo / cpu - A7v8x-x / 2400+, would power down at 60'c.

I read elsewhere that temps upwords of 90'c weren't unheard of in the p4 world. I'm trying to put some validity to that....

thanks!

Nope you shouldnt be running that hot in my opinion, I max out with a game like half life 2 at 52 degrees and my cpu is 3.2 ghz intel.

at 2.5 gig I'm guessing its a socket 478 i would recommend changing your cooling solution for something a little better or at the very least removing current heat sink and replacing stock thermal pad with another thermal compound and making sure it is fully seated. Even after hours of gaming i only hit 51c

As it turns out, the 'clasp' that holds his heatsink / fan assembly has been damaged, which allowed enough of a gap between his cpu and heatsink that the thermal paste has dried out. He picked up a cooler master heatsink / fan tonight and now he hovers at around 50c...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom