Want to upgrade for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonc731

Baseband Member
I got BF2 a few days after it came out for my birthday. I soon realized that my GeForce FX5200 could not run it. I want to upgrade this Cristmas so I can play it as Battlefield Vietnam is my favorite game and I can't wait to play the new one.

I have now:

Pentium 4 3.00GHz 800mhz FSB
ECS 848P-A Mobo
1024mb DDR400 RAM
eVGA GeForce FX5200
120GB Samsung IDE HDD
Sony CD-RW
Sony DVD-RW
Floppy Drive

I want to upgrade to:

Athlon 64 3200 or 3500
MSI K8N-NEO4 mobo
1024mb RAM (from old PC)
eVGA GeForce 6600GT or 6800GT
120GB Samsung IDE HDD (old PC)
Sony CD-RW (Old PC)
Sony DVD-RW (Old PC)
Floppy Drive (Old PC)

I will be buying the parts from www.zipzoomfly.com, the ones marked (old PC) I already have from the computer I am using now.

I just want to know if I am doing the right thing upgrading to these specs. I will not overclock, I have built a few PC's before so thats not a problem. I am not sure what my budget is, I am 14 and this may be a gift from my parents, maybe about $500-$600.

i would check prices with newegg also.
--i would get a 7800gt...heard much better and everyone here reccomends that card
--get 2g of ram for bf2
--because u will more than user either faster or different ram in the new motherboard
--pluss go with the 3700+ since the L2 cache is dbl in size compared to the 3200 and the 3500...it's more money...but worth it i think

u could do that........but u need an amd really to game...sorry intel fans....but intel sux ballz when it comes to gaming...they just don't work as good as the amd 64....but that won't be long...intel is coming out with a new cpu...right now being called "next generation cpu".......leave it up to intel to come up with such a kewl name

I don't have the money to get a 7800GT, I would really like one, but thats expensive!

Will consider the extra gig of ram, can always add that later.

I am definately getting the Athlon 64, going to go 64 bit eventually, plus they ARE the gamer chips. I might get the 3700 for the extra cache though.

Thanks for all the replies :) .

your not getting a 7800GT with a whole new mobo+cpu+7800GT thats way over 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom