Run DOS based program on W2KPro

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, so the progam is supper simple. Kind of cool actually. Anyway, you need to have all of the files on a folder that follows the 8.3 nameing convention. Meaning no names longer than 8 chars long. so create a dir on C:\ call fe. Then put everthing there. That will allow it to run properly. if you have more trouble, let us know.

32 bit = "cmd" or "command"
16 bit = (cmd "command")

my memory fails me but if you include command after the normal cmd it should bring up a 16 bit dos prompt not 32 bit.

It's all emulation. Windows, post NT doesn't offer true dos anymore. XP, and Win2k are totally non DOS. They emulate the environment. They use something called ntvdm and WOW, NT Virtual Dos Machine and Windows on Windows to make it work.
You can find the environment config files under system and winnt/windows. Autoexec.nt config.nt are the same as the dos version, autoexec.bat and config.sys.

hope that helps...

I don't want to install the program tho. I remember when I set it up b4 that I was told not to install just to run. I have tried setup with the dos prompt in program but am not able to save & retrieve records once I have the fields set as I need them. Tried the installer anyway - invalid error. Will try to run thru command and see what happens - don't know if I have already tried that or not. Running strait off C:\FE did not work either, can enter record but not save, unless exit, then I can't retrieve record just entered.
Thanks to all those who are helping with this - I truly appreciate it.

Thank you all for the input on my problem. I have finally gotten my database up and functional on both XP and W2K. The problem in XP was the compatability mode, and surprise, surprise - I found an unlock.exe in the file folder - wish I had seen it before. After using unlock, I had another shortcut and it is functional. Again Thank You all for your time and input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom