Dual Channel DDR vs Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

In Runtime
I was wondering what the actual performance difference is between DUAL channel DDR and 2 sticks of standard ddr?

My board doesnt support dual channel, but i've been thinking of upgrading. Or just buy 2 1GB PC3200 and throw them in my Soyo p4vtp.

I dont overclock my system at all and im not a HARDCORE gamer. I turn gfx on max when i first get the game, but afterwards turn to medium to get more FPS. In Counter Strike's Stress test i get 62fps. My friend has similar setup and got 65fps , but just recently got a WD Raptor 10Krpm HD , and his fps jumped to 95.

My system:

Soyo P4VTP PT800
768mb PC2100 (another reason i want to upgrade)
BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC 128mb 525mhz/1050mhz

I was looking to spend about $300 on a MB combo on ram. I know that only if im overclocking do i really need to best brands of ram and im not going to OC.

there's no such thing as dual channel ram. Your processor supports the ram to run in dual channel. Two identical sticks of standard DDR ram will run in dual channel with the right processor.

Get a good stick of valueram and you'll be pleased. What's your processor? I think it may be safe to assume it's socket A or possibly socket 754, but I'm leaning towards A. (socket 478 preHT technology if running a pentium) So dual channel isn't going to happen unless you upgrade your processor too.

Ryan

ok i'll get some valueram..1 stick now depending on price maybe 2. and my MB is socket 478... i take it i should upgrade that too. Whats a good board..with AGP not PCI-E ..dont feel like spending another $250 to replace my card.

how is your AMD 64bit working for ya?

I think the AMD Athlon 64 series are probably the most popular processor here on the forum. It's awesome! I OC'ed mine to 2.25ghz with stock cooling, zero errors in prime95 and run at about 30-32*C idling. Socket 478 isn't completely backwards yet. Actually, if the price was right, I would consider upgrading what you currently have until it does begin to 'fall behind.' Right now it's still current!

Ryan

Ya they are, alot of people seem to have them. I have a 3800+ dual core right now that im very pleased with. But if I was just getting into AMDs or chose a different CPU I would of bought an AMD FX seeries cpu.

how is this for $200

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

eh, this is me being cheap, but here goes...
I bought the 3000+ because of it's overclockability to the 3500+ range. Now, that's a good overclocking processor. So, I dunno what I'm trying to say. The one I chose is substantially cheaper, and it's running at slightly over 3500+ speeds. (I think I just figured out what I'm trying to say.) If you're looking at processors because you think 3500+ speeds are about what you want, then get the same processor I have. I have stock cooling and hardly raised the voltage. If you're looking to make the thing run as fast as possible, go ahead and get the 3500+ and overclock it. Then it'll spank mine.

Hope I helped more than I hurt.

Ryan

i lurve my 3200 winni runs perfectly stable at 2.7ghz on stock air in a case with only 2 fans :D. it plays any game i can want. at stock speeds it is normally 26 idle 29 load. (bad day like today 32 load :(

na man if u want the fastest possible then get a 3000+ and make sure its a week 13 :p they rocked some people got 3ghz stock air on them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom