I need help with my ATHLON Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

davie23223

Baseband Member
I need help with my old amd athlon pc. Baught it from BestBuy Compaq computer. 1ghz athlon thunderbird, 512mb sdram, 40gig. When ever i push the power button the system light goes green as it suppose to but then after 5 seconds i hear the computer make different noise, (ittle difference) and than it doesnt load, then my monitor light turns orange. There was a problem before that, My computer kept freezing, It all started one day when my computer froze, the next day it freezes 2 times, ext 4etc.. it kept getting worst, it got to the point that it froze after 20 seconds from turning computer on. Another thing was I had an XFX Geforce 4mx-440se 64mb DDR on my AGP slot and the fan wasnt running properly, sometimes the fan didnt work sometimes. Did my video card toast the computer or something?

When i turn the system on, it makes that little different noise, makes like a kinda powering up noise, than the loading light just stays on for 10seconds then stops.

I tried the old video card and it still does the same thing, And if im lucky sometimes the syustem powers on, its weird. Say like 1 day, i try to get it working all day wont work, i left it for like 4 days and pushed the button it works, but than hours after it freezes and doesnt work anymore.

Heres my Computer Info

Standard Features
Dimensions & Weights
(H x W x D)
Unit: 16.55" x 8.76" x 17.3" (25.3 lbs.)
Package: 24.06" x 13.13"; x 22.44" (36.6 lbs.)
Processor
1.0 GHz AMD Athlon™ Processor with Enhanced 3DNow!™ Technology
System Bus
200 MHz system bus
Cache
384 KB On-Chip Cache
System Memory
128 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, three total DIMM slots upgradable to 768 MB (SyncDRAM DIMM required)
Hard Drive
40.0 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
DVD-ROM Drive
12X Max DVD-ROM drive
CD-RW Drive
8X CD-RW Drive
Modem
56K ITU V.90 modem
Networking
10/100 Ethernet Networking Card
Multimedia Graphics
NVidia TNT2 Vanta LT Graphics card w/8MB Video Memory
• Video Player (AVI, MPEG and others)
• Maximum non-interlaced resolution of up to 1600 x 1200 at 75Hz (when supported by monitor)
Audio
Soundmax integrated digital audio
• Audio CD player
• Organize and play digital MP3, WMA or personal CD audio files on your PC
• FM Synthesis Emulation
Compatibility/Compliance
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)
Energy Star Compliant
Plug-and-Play
Expansion Slots (Four total)
• One PCI slot with modem installed
• One PCI slot with networking card installed
• One AGP slot with graphics card installed
• One PCI slot open for expansion
Expansion Bays (Six total)
• 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive
• Hard drive
•DVD-ROM drive
• CD-RW drive
• Two drive bays open for expansion
I/O Interfaces
• Four USB ports (2 front, 2 back)
• Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550)
• Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB25 connector)
• RJ-11 phone jacks (1 input, 1 output)
• RJ-45 Ethernet port
• Audio ports (line-in, line-out and microphone-in)
• Two PS/2 ports
• Monitor connection (VGA)
Power Supply
Steady-state 250 watt power supply
Diskette Drive
3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive

I've tried this with many forums and noone replies or dont know what the problem is.

Well, there are a few things that it could potential be causing your continual freezes.

First and foremost, are you comfortible with opening up the PC case and trying some things?

1.) Could be bad memory module. RAM
2.) Could be failing power supply.

I'd start with those two.

What is the exact brand and model number of your PC?

The wierd noises are probably failing cooling fans... either the case fan, PSU fan, CPU fan or etc... I bet that PC is probably LOADED with dust and debris if you opened it up. This is bad and contributes to overheating...

Look at which BIOS you have and look up the beep codes. The motherboard will tell you which part has the problem by the amount of beeps and length of beeps.

you really need to stop this double posting lameness....this is the 4th thread in which you've double posted

I can't go into bios because I can't even get into the computer, and I also tried resetting bios by removing the battery

The weird noise is like a powering up noise

The exact brand and model is
Brand: Compaq
Model:5012ca

I am comfortable opening my system case, I have upgrade the Ram and Video card. After upgrading the ram and video card, 3 months later it started freezing so i know it cant be the new ram and video card, or maybe it is. All I did with this computer was game, playing Counter-Strike and Diablo 2 like 8 hours a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom