XP Pro Freeze and return from Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argenteus

Beta member
My brother purchased a computer from a local shop, and I installed the operating system for him. Computer is the Athalon 3200 64bit, but I don't think the problem is the hardware. I partitioned the hard drive into two and set the OP partition up with FAT 32, so he could still run Myst, and the secondary with NTFS. I know, bad idea, so I reformatted the OS partition; is this enough to get the OP partition back to NTFS? Because I can't figure out what is wrong. I run Norton and have downloaded the BIOS from the internet for the motherboard, (first time I ever had to do that!) and reinstalled the system on the system partition and still he get programs not responding errors. Everything is now NTFS and looks okay, but two days after I leave he calls me up to say if won't wake up from the sleep button on his wireless MS keyboard, this happens often, and he get "Program Not Responding" whenever he tries to shut down.

Thank you,
Argenteus

I had this happen a long time ago and can't remeber the permanant fix, but a temporary solution is to disable hibernation. I will search for more answers and go through my papers to see if I wrote it down.

OK,,dumb question, but are drivers installed properly for wireless KB.then do above what slam said, control panel,Performance & Maint,,Power Management Put all to Never.

ByTeDeMoN said:
OK,,dumb question, but are drivers installed properly for wireless KB.then do above what slam said, control panel,Performance & Maint,,Power Management Put all to Never.

yup yup!! right on the money...turn all that crap off!! then in that same Power Mangment screen is the hibernation setting..I beleive its the advanced tab..uncheck hibernation. Just turn off the monitor is he wishes to leave it on all the time.

Thank you and FAT32

Thank you everyone for your quick response.

Hibernation has been off, but I will set the other power managment parts to "NEVER." And reinstall the drivers for the Keyboard and Mouse. (No such thing as a stupid question to me, any suggestioins are very welcome)

If sounds like you don't believe the XP os would put anything into another drive "D:" when installing a program on D: even when the OS on drive "C:" was FAT32, So the "Program Not Responding" has nothing to do with that? Yes I changed C: back to NTFS, but I just left D: with programs on it because it was NTFS from the start. Do you think the "Program Not responding" when he tries to shut down is related to the "wake up" problems?

He has all 5 users slots under XP being used, and many stay logged on with programs being open when they switch to another user, so I thought that might be a problem, because until XP came along, you would never have the same program running in two different ways at the same time, so I figured this was new enough technology to expect some problems, but he has the fastest processor currently available to regular people, the 3200, 64bit, so the problems seem excessive for that.

Argent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom