Installing Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
Okay i just built the rig in my sig. i booted it up last night and it went to BIOS. i put in the XP Home CD and let it install overnight. this morning i went downstairs and it was frozen on 37 minutes remaining. now when i boot the bootscreen says Microsoft XP. but when i put the CD in and it reads it, the installation starts again and then it goes to this screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer (did that). If this happens again follow these steps:

Check Hardware (did that)
Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing (whatll that do?)
Boot in safe mode (did that)

do i have to get a BIOs update from somewere?? i think the installation froze and didn't complete casuing corrupted files. can anyone help me?

you have an IRQ address write error. Are the drives you listed IDE or SATA? I would definitely fdisk and reinstall. Make sure your PCI ex 7800 is firmly seated. Reply with outcome.

what will taking it out do? i don't want to install it on another HDD because what if that one gets F'd uP?

btw what's the button you press to get to BIOs??????? F8 goes to advanced startup options

If you are having some IDE issues you can take the slave drive out to rule out the IDE issue.

To get into Bios, press DEL while in POST.

Before you do what I suggested below, do a Windows repair from setup. You'll see the choice. If that doesn't work, run setup and do a fresh install and reformat the drive ntfs (not quick).....actually, do the fresh install first, forget the repair since the drive is oS occupiued only anyway. The fdisk deal is to return yor drive to factory empty.

Here is the deal.......look for an old windows 98se floppy. boot to the c: prompt and type: fdisk >the choose the delete the existing non-dos partiiton #4 (I'm assuming you NTFS formated). then set up a primary dos partition and then reinstall XP.

bradybnmci said:
If you are having some IDE issues you can take the slave drive out to rule out the IDE issue.

I don't have a slave, only one master.

posted by RicoDirenzoBefore you do what I suggested below, do a Windows repair from setup. You'll see the choice. If that doesn't work, run setup and do a fresh install and reformat the drive ntfs (not quick).....actually, do the fresh install first, forget the repair since the drive is oS occupiued only anyway. The fdisk deal is to return yor drive to factory empty.

Here is the deal.......look for an old windows 98se floppy. boot to the c: prompt and type: fdisk >the choose the delete the existing non-dos partiiton #4 (I'm assuming you NTFS formated). then set up a primary dos partition and then reinstall XP.

when you say the windows repair is that an option on the advanced startup options? yes i did NTFS formated. i do'n thave a 98se disk lying around unfortuinatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom