please help hidden files not showing on internet explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimjimith

Solid State Member
i had some sort of virus i think its gone now but it created loads of files in a folder called complete in documents and settings my user i know these files are there because i noticed the in an ad aware scan but cant acess them in windows explorer to delete them does anyone know a way of helping me

Have you already allowed hidden files and folders to be viewable and its not working or this is what you are asking to know how to do?

Open a folder under WinXP,
On the top bar, "Tools"
-> "Folder Options"
-> click the tab "View" at the top
-> Look down, for "Hidden files and folders", and then check off 'Show hidden files and folders'
-> Press "OK"

should be viewing hidden files now...!

edit:
PS: are you sure Ad-aware didn't delete the file(s)/folder(s) for you?

sorry should of explained the problem clearer

ive allready switched so i can see hidden files and there not showing up still and know they are still there because they are taking up about 2 gig

Do a search for the file name and make it search in hidden files and folders, system folders and subfolders.

If you're familure enough...you can boot into dos (I've always used a 98 boot disk, just 'cause it's around, but many ways should work!) And you can navigate to where the files are... such as
C:
cd documents and settings
cd username
cd my documents
dir *.* /p -- /p lists one page at a time, if you have a lot of files there
and find the troublesome files, then
del troublefiles

It's probably likely (as cook was hinting at) that the files aren't located there, being that it's not really possible to hide themselves any better if the virus is truely gone.

Also, note this! Two possabilities:
1. check your recycle bin/empty it.
2. check ad-aware's quarentine, make sure it's not holding the files. if it is, make sure to delete them...to regain your lost space.

i had some sort of virus i think its gone now

You had a virus and you think its gone? what did you do to get rid of it? I hope you didnt just wait until it decided to leave your computer.

Are you sure that you didnt delete all the files when you found them in Ad Aware? When you run adaware again, do those files show up again?

you can use a DOS window to try and browse and delete files and/or folders

dir [path of a foler] = list what's in the folder
del [path of a file] = deletes the file
rd [path of a folder] = deletes the folder
rd [path of a folder] /s = deletes the folder, even if there's stuff inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom