SLI a waste of $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
wonder how much this freakin PPU will wind up costing.
and by the sounds of it you're going to need to purchase a PPU chip AND the card seperately...sooo basically it'll be like "Oh you only got a PPU GX58 huh? That sucks...I've got the 2x900" and crap like that.

Yeah, i'm kinda fuzzy on this whole thing too. From all i've read this is what I think, "Ageia developed the Physx Engine (software SDK) and the Physx Processor (Technology blueprint for the hardware)." Ageia is a fabless semiconductor company. They don't make the chips. They out source that to a semiconductor foundry who fabricates the chips.

This is were i get fuzzy...

Will Ageia then sell those chips to a company like (BFG, XFX, Evga, sapphire...etc...) And then they make the cards and sell the completed PPU?

Or will Ageia take there chips and outsource to card makers?

I bet it's the first one. I know that they are planning on cards having GDDR3 in 128MB & 256MB flavors. Oh boy, I can see it now... The 512MB beast... oh wait... what's this? not only can you have SLI or CROSSFIRE - But now you can also run (DUAL PPU'S) in our nifty dual PPU solution.....

SLAP ME AND WAKE ME UP!!!!

I have been looking into SLI, and although we don't think its right, SLI is what the future is all about. We won't be able to ignore it forever...these games comming out are going to be too demanding for just one card. I am actually considering a switch to console games because I don't want to have to spend $5000 on a PC just to play games for 2 years, then have to spend $5000 more to continue playing.

doubt SLI is the future dude....cards NOW might not be able to handle it by themselves, but that's the whole point..these **** manufacturers need to quit putting money and research into this crap and get focusing on one amazing single card...that or a dual GPU card would be exceptable, but this whole buy 2 cards is just stupid

Nubius said:
doubt SLI is the future dude....cards NOW might not be able to handle it by themselves, but that's the whole point..these **** manufacturers need to quit putting money and research into this crap and get focusing on one amazing single card...that or a dual GPU card would be exceptable, but this whole buy 2 cards is just stupid

I agree with this. Dual GPU cards would be much better. The only problem I see with this is, "motherboard Real Estate." These dual GPU cards are monsterously huge. Almost half the size of a uATX mobo.

I'd much rather see a total graphical solution created. I've posted this like 10 times in the past.

It would basically be a stand alone unit "external unit" . Have it's own power supply, it's own case, it's own cooling, dual GPU's, a PPU, upgradible system RAM... etc... This unit would connect to a PCIexpress slot by a special cable that would come out the rear of the PC in a PCI slot cover then attach to the stand alone unit. Your monitor or monitors would then connect to the stand alone unit.

They could also use a FLASH ROM chip and install the DRIVERS on it.
This could be fully flashible and upgradible. Making it plug and play.
Then you could basically transport this unit, "which could be fairly small" to a friends house, plug it in to a PCIexpress slot and are ready to go. Obviously, a lot of things would ned to be worked out and developed, but I think it's a pretty good idea.

I think the above idea is an awesome idea, it would really make upgrading gaming a lot easier....you should get on top of that bro...copyright that mofo!

HAVOC, dude. Thats the best idea I think ive ever heard. I love it. It sounds very possible. It obviously wouldnt be cheap when itd first come out and yea alot of stuff would need to be worked out. But thats seeriously the best idea ive heard. Itd help with everything. Namely better case flow and less heat inside the actual computer. It'd make computer gameing alot better.

With all the new technology, well not neccesarily new technology, comeing out (PPUs, SLI and crossfire, dual gpus, gigabytes 4 vid card set-up), it sounds like that idea is the best one out of the bunch. Itd be pretty much be a video computer?haha.

It'd probably also pro-long the computers power supply. I mean with PPUs and SLI and whatnot, im sure the power consumption is alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom