I dont get RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidious1120

In Runtime
RAM does increase your computers game performance alot doesnt it? Right now it sais i have a 1gb ram and im thinking of upper it to as high as i can almost get with reasonable price. I was looking at futureshop and the most it went up to was 500? for like 200 dollars or is it not really 500?

Im not sure what youre asking. Are you asking how much or what kind of RAM you can get for $500? Or how much a stick or so of 512MB would cost? Or DDR2? Or what.

If youre talking about how much memory you can have on your motherboard, you (most likely) have 4 slots for memory.

If you wanted to fork out dough you could get 4 sticks of 2gigs haha.

But from what ive heard I wouldnt go with more then 2 gigs of memory. Apparently Itll slow down your computer a littly bit becasue of how much their is to go thru to assess data. So you could get like a matched set from OCZ thats 2x1 gigs for under 200, i think. I could be wrong. check out prices on newegg.com or pcclub.com and whatnot.

Im kinda askin how RAM works like is 512mb is like $200 but is it really on 512? and whats DDR or sumtin like that

your question is making no sense even the second time round. Youll have to reword it.

If by 'is it really on 512' you are asking about speed then no, larger chips of memory will not be faster than smaller chips.

For example, a 512mb chip does not run at (say) 512mhz as opposed to a 256mb chip running at 256mhz. Its more a matter of capacity, which i cant really explain to you personally. I'm just trying to clear up what it is exactly that you are asking.

Actually, I'll have a crack - Having a larger amount of RAM will speed up your computer by allowing it to compute more things at once. If it is trying to get through something which can be handled by 256mb of RAM, then having 512mb wont make any difference. On the other hand, DDR2 memory WILL run faster than standard DDR with regard to mhz. Much like a 3.0ghz processor runs faster than a 2.4ghz processor. It is the newer technology, and requires a motherboard which is compatible with it.

Thats my interpretation of it anyway. Someone else is welcome to offer a better explanation if they see fit.

umm disreguard most of what you have already been told in this thread.

Assuming that someone has 4 dimms on there motherboard, if even they are dimms, is a poor attempt. I have 3 comptures running in this room, one has 1 dimm, one has 4, and one has 3. Both of my machines at work have 3 dimms.

Also, you dont just buy a 2gig stick of ram. Thats not how it works. You have to find out how much memory one bank can actually handle, or it wont work at all.

Assuming that more than 2 gigs of ram will slow you down is wrong also. Its not page filing/virtual memory.

If you are hungry for information on how memory works, read up on terms like

DDR, DIMM, SIMM, RIMM, SDRAM, DRAM, SRAM, and how it all works. To really get into it, you need to know the system bus speeds, or FSB(Front side bus), and what your chipset is capable of, etc..

a 2.4GHz proc is not necessarily faster than a 3.0GHz proc. When it comes to bus speeds and l1/l2 cache, a 3.0GHz proc. can be about as usefull as a 333mhz if its got a small bus.

.... for VALUE ram...

iv seen sticks go for 600 bucks dude
the price matters if your overclocking.. expensive ram oc's much easier than value..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom