help! my computer is messed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playa24_7

Beta member
hey guys. well my computer stopped working. It was on, everything was good, then i went to go watch t.v. for abit. when i go away from my computer for 5 minutes, the monitor automatically hibernates to save power, but when i went back, it wouldnt go back on at all.

so i restarted the computer, pressed F8, and tryed to go into safe mode. it got to the log in screen slowly, i got in, but then everything froze and i couldnt get in to do a virus check or anything. turned it off again, then back on, tryed safe mode again, and it wouldnt go past the log in. then again, wouldnt get to the log in at all.

now when i start it, it just shows the first black screen when a computer starts up, with all your ram info and all that, but just stays there, like this:

if i put in my system restore disk (1 of 3), it detects that, and goes into that disk. usually it gives me the recommended option, to delete C: drive and replace it with the default stuff the computer came with, and leave the D: drive(which has ALL of my stuff) alone. i've done it before, and then its perfect, just have to install programs and stuff again on the C: drive, not a problem.

This time though when it goes in, a box first pops up, saying there is no system drive. after i click that i get this screen:

so i click next, then it goes into the normal options, but the option to just delete the C: drive, its greyed out showing you cant choose it, and gives theres other options about partions and deleting the drives completely, like this:

I DO NOT want my D: drive gone, i have pictures from 4 years up until now and so much stuff on it, and if theres gone, i dont know what i'll do. i wish i backed that stuff up before.

someone please help!! I have no idea what to do, and no money to fix it :( :( I figured someone here would know maybe

try clearing NVRAM via jumper. Also, use bare bones system (no cd, floppy, just the absolute minimum).

your bios is saying you only have one drive (60gb) .. Do you have more than one physical drive.. or was it partitioned?

I assume you have 1 drive with 2 partitions.If that is the case So in that case having all of your stuff on the d drive and the C: partition being toast you need to use some file recovery program to retrieve your files.If you can get your hands on a cd copy of Knoppix its a bootable operating system and a good tool for recovering your files.If in fact the C:drive is bad.Im not positive but it looks like it.

^^^ where would I get a program like Knoppix? and can you just briefly explain the process on using it to recover files? i do have an external drive is that would help for such a thing

have you reinstalled windows since the last time you had a "d" drive? if not it should be possible to recover

Anyone know any sites or anything that have that Knoppix program or some boot program, so I can put that on disc, and then try to recover some files? then I can at least recover some files before I reinstall windows again.

if i can just use a boot program to recover some files, instead of having to take the **** drive out, put in another computer, take stuff off, format the drive and all that, and hook it back up again, that would be awesome.

and also, can you briefly jsut tell me the steps to recover some files with a boot program? i do have an external drive if that helps

btw, it is just one hdd drive with 2 partions with the C: and D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom